Problems With 94 Cherokee Sport

Hello, I am new the group, so any advice is very much appreciated!! I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L with 150,000 miles on it, I am the second owner of the car and it runs great most of the time! Sometimes while driving the Jeep doing 1500RPM's-or somewhere around that amount, the engine with just basically kill out and drop down to nothing or die, and then I let off of the accelerator pedal and mash it again and it will sometimes re-fire. I have also noticed the Jeep dying at stop lights, sometimes when rolling up and sometimes when accelerating away. I thought I might have had dirty fuel injectors, so I used some fuel injector cleaner and that didn't help, so I assumed maybe I had some water or moisture in my gas so I bought a bottle of gas dryer to remove the water, the didn't work either, so I don't know what to do, and I was thinking about maybe taking it to a mechanic or the dealership that might could put it on a machine and watch it and see what might be causing it, but didn't know if there was such a machine to do that. The Jeep runs fine most of the time though, still very strong with 150,000 miles on it, but what fools me is that there isn't any check engine lights on at all. Go figure! As stated before any advice is appreciated.

Reply to
DaryRon Steffey

When the Crankshaft Position Sensor starts going bad, it can cause those symptoms. Mounted next to the flywheel on the driver's side, near the top, the sensor produces pulses off the flywheel that is the engine's master timing signal. It costs $70-80 to buy and about an hour's labor to install. Tight quarters makes the installation less than a fun job though.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Some times a bad or sticky EGR valve could make your car stall when letting off revs. The EGR valve on the inline six is located on the left side of engine (middle) and sould be closed when ideling and open at high revs. If it stays open a little to long when reving down it could cause a stall.

However this should probably not affect you at 1500 RPM's so a CPS problem might be the cause.

Odd-Inge

Reply to
Odd-Inge Larsen

I might be wrong here since I am new to Jeeps (3 weeks now). Isn't the

1994 4.0L a multi-port fuel injection system which does not have an EGR valve. I have a 1994 4.0L YJ and my m-p fi does not have an EGR valve.

EGR valve = carb

Reply to
Peter Parker

Ahhh. didn't know that :-) I have a 1990. Live and learn....

odd-inge

Reply to
Odd-Inge Larsen

Some early 4.0 MPI systems had an EGR valve stuck on them. I know for sure that the 87-89 4.0 in the XJ/MJ did and I think they removed it when they went to the MOPAR MPI on the HO versions of the 4.0 in what?

91?
Reply to
Will Honea