Re: cockpit/cab/trail cover

Rain Gear Jeep Covers

Theirs cover the entiredoor opening. I bought one. Fast shipping, great product. My onlycomplaint is that the straps aren't made to attach to any one point, really.You just find the best place, clip and tighten. I do really like mine! Notto mention, they have a variety of colors. Oooh, and don't forget the spiffy bag it comes with (and I got a free hat!).

Eric

I'm looking for a cockpit/cab/trail cover (I've seen all three names) for my > 85 CJ7. I need one that covers the entire door (when I go topless I go > doorless as well). Can anyone recommend one? Bestop does not make one that > covers the whole door opening. > > >
Reply to
Eric

Thomas W.

The website looked good enough for me to order one yesterday. We will see on the quality, but I am hopeful.

Good Jeeping, Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

I've got one too. They do work great, although I wish the straps by the mirrors were moved forward of the slit.

The main thing to remember when using this cover is to cinch the front and rear straps first and taught. If you don't get it streched front to back little puddles will form over the driver and passenger seats. This makes the cover difficult to remove after the rain has stopped without getting either yourself or the seats soaked.

HTH,

Lefty

Reply to
Left of Trotsky

Jim, Did you get your cover? How is it?

Reply to
Joe

Yep, it came in pretty quick. It is in a nice bag about the size of your average sleeping bag. The material is like a heavy tent fabric and sown well. I am pleased with the quality for the price paid.

I can't speak to how it fits on the Jeep since mine has been in the shop all this time. Hopefully, it will be out this week.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

I found an easy way to put it on and take it off after you get it on once:

  1. Unhook all of the straps and undo the velcro slits by the mirrors as well as getting the front out from under your windshield wiper blades.
  2. Fold the left (or right, just be consistent) door all the way to the middle, working your way from front to back.
  3. Do the same to the right (or left...) side.
  4. Open the tailgate and stand on it. Grab the folded pieces in front of you and start rolling.
  5. As you roll, just pull it towards you.

When you're done, it is folded to the perfect size to fit in the bag. I became pretty proficient at this out of necessity since we had wierd mid-day rain showers a lot last month (or at least were predicted...). It works even better with a safari top on since you don't have to fight dragging the front half towards you as your folding.

Reply to
Eric

That sounds like good advice. I will give it a try.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

Jim, How's the cover working? Can you post a pic with the cover on?

Reply to
Joe

Hello Joe,

The only one I currently have is here:

The will try to get some more pictures soon.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

Does it work OK? My wife is getting me one for my birthday...

Reply to
Joe

Hello Joe,

I really like mine. When I set it up at the camp site I had several people come over asking where they could get one. It was very popular.

It seems like it would be good to keep out any night time rain and would be rather strong against the wind. The straps are plenty long to find something on the body to hook to.

I'm sure you will like it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

I got my cover... Looks GREAT. Nice sturdy construction.

Reply to
Joe

Hello Joe,

It does seem to be a well made product. It attaches very easily and makes a nice summer addition to the rig.

I had to put the full soft top up for the winter so my cover won't come out again until spring.

Jim

'86 CJ-7 D30 D44 D300 4:1 T-5 SOA ARB 4.56 Mopar MPI Fresno, CA USA

Jim Meyer

Same here... put it on to test it out (didn't want to try and return it 3-4 months from now if defective)...

Reply to
Joe