Problems with water!

My jeep runs well unless it gets wet. If enough water gets splashed up under the hood it quits and wont start for a couple hours. Also it won't start in humidity or heavy rain! otherwise everything works well. What could my problem be?

Reply to
Jeepster

Sounds like a problem with..... well water getting somewhere it does not belong :)

What year / make / model / engine are you talking here? A little water in a distributor cap will do that.

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You likely have a cracked distributor cap.

The wires could be leaking too. I check the wires by putting a spray mist of water on them in the dark. If leaky you will get a good light show.

When the distributor gets splashed with water, it gets massive amounts of condensation inside it or splash up through the advance linkage hole. You can open it up and spray it down with WD40, shake it out and away you go again. I never go on the trail without WD40. One spray is good for the day. It does a great Water Displacing job, even if it took 'em 40 tries to get it right!

I had a rubber boot off a Ford 6 on mine for a while. That stopped the splash from hitting so no condensation happened.

Not starting in the damp means the distributor cap is really bad or cracked usually.

Mike

Mike Romain

If it's a Jeepster, 67 to about 74 with a 225 or a weak little 4 banger Probably plug wires, start the engine at night and mist the wires, cap, coil, etc, with a windex bottle of water, and watch for arcs.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

OH SURE.. YOU JUST HAD TO MENTION THAT!!! Just as that memory had finally faded into obscurity.

What's next.. a discussion of cattle fencers and pissin on a fenceposts? :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If it's anything with a Chebby 350 stuffed in it's face, it's prolly a wet distributor cap.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

YIKES! That the voice of experience talkin Bill?

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Those guys were barbarians. You can just as easily stick a paper clip or a safety pin between the plug wire end and the socket in the distributor cap.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

LOL Someday Bill, I'ma gonna getta ta makea dat sound too!

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I much prefer to use a mist of water to test for leaky wires Bill. Although a video of you doing it your way would be fun to see....

Mike

Mike Romain

You don't have to pull any wire. The end of the paper clip slides between the boot and the wire, and goes right down into the socket in the distributor cap. If you rip the boot doing this maneuver, then the rubber was dried out and needed replacement anyway.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Hmm, an ASE-certified vasectomy.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You are so full of shit, billy goat. No wonder you took up netKKKopping instead.

Reply to
Joeseph P. Blow

Geez, are you stupid, can't you think of something intelligent to say?? A real loser. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply-To: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit X-Trace: blackhelicopter.databasix.com 1145964741 20789 blackhelicopter.databasix.com (25 Apr 2006 11:32:21 GMT) X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@databasix.com NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:32:21 +0000 (UTC) X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.652 X-No-Archive: yes Xref: cox.net rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys:574536 X-Received-Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:33:04 EDT (dukenews1.cox.net)

You are so full of shit, billy goat. No wonder you took up netKKKopping instead.

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III