It's official: Jeeps are fuel efficient.

Discovered several interesting things today:

  1. Jeep Wranglers can be very fuel efficient. Drove 66.3 miles then filled up: used only 2.3 gallons! My calculations indicate 28.8 mpg. How the hell did I do it? Avoided stoplight racing, shifted under 2k, made most of the lights, and kept it below 65 mph on the freeway. And yes, I was deliberately trying to see just how good a mileage figure I could squeeze out of a TJ, just for bragging rights.

Yes, I know, Bill and others will probably drop their pants and offer an irreverant physical gesture out of sheer disbelief and arrogance. Fire away. I'm too shocked with the numbers to care much.

  1. One should NEVER fiddle with the macro adjustment on a Kegerator thermostat while a viable keg is still inside. 34 degrees at MAX wasn't good enough for me: I wanted 33 or lower, so I pulled the thermostat out, gave the macro adjustment a 1.5 clockwise turn, buttoned it back up and let it go overnight. This morning, the interior air temp was a frosty 21 degrees. Liquid temp was probably 5 degrees less than that, I'm sure.

Pulling the treasured 5-gal keg of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale revelaed that the contents were not completely frozen, but still in a slushy-state, but more frozen than slush. DAMN! Pulling the tap open revealed my worst suspicions as well: not a drop came out.

As of this afternoon, I discover that the macro adjustment yields a 2 degree drop per 1/4 turn on the screw, so after some recalibration, I'm back in business, and the brew seems none the worse for the experience. I'm now down to a liquid temp of exactly 31 degrees, and at 13 psi. CO2 pressure, the saturation and foam lacing are absolutely perfect. YES!

  1. Now that the beer is ice-cold and ready to pour, I've found that Frito Lay's Rold Gold classic style Braided Twists are a MOST complimentary snack for anyone who's been sitting around the house all day, waiting until 3:00 so that they can get hammered and eat junk food like a hog.

Damn. Life is good. Too bad you're not closeby, Kate: I could use a wild-eyed Irish gal to help me drink up a frosty keg of Amber Ale. I might have even cracked a dirty joke or two and got you to smile.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I have done the same with my CJ7. None of them still believe me, but a bunch of folks from this group have filled up beside me on trips and tank for tank and my carburated CJ7 always beats the FI units for mileage big time!

Your light foot experiment shows it can be done with injection too. Well, we do it with the XJ. We always get more than 25 mpg on the highway with it. Fully loaded to the roof, 4 adults, 3 duffle bags on the roof rack, packed for winter camping with winter gas and we got the worst ever. 23 mpg or 11L/100km.... Which is what my CJ7 gets normally loaded for a trip on the highway....

:-)

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Kate

"JD Adams" wrote : : 1. Jeep Wranglers can be very fuel efficient. Drove 66.3 miles then : filled up: used only 2.3 gallons! My calculations indicate 28.8 mpg. : How the hell did I do it? Avoided stoplight racing, shifted under 2k, : made most of the lights, and kept it below 65 mph on the freeway. And : yes, I was deliberately trying to see just how good a mileage figure I : could squeeze out of a TJ, just for bragging rights.

Hmm... the 06 Rubi with a slush box is listed on the sticker at 14city - 18 hwy What makes yours so special?

Seriously?

*snippity snip** : : 3. Now that the beer is ice-cold and ready to pour, I've found that : Frito Lay's Rold Gold classic style Braided Twists are a MOST : complimentary snack for anyone who's been sitting around the house all : day, waiting until 3:00 so that they can get hammered and eat junk food : like a hog. : : Damn. Life is good. Too bad you're not closeby, Kate: I could use a : wild-eyed Irish gal to help me drink up a frosty keg of Amber Ale. I : might have even cracked a dirty joke or two and got you to smile. : LMAO! I was reading the above and thought DAMN! Wish I was there.. and then I saw- I shoulda been LOL Thanks for thinking of me JD :) Of course you realize, when I drink, I get goofy. It's always good for a good laugh - at my expense.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

The Libermonster is currently getting 16.5 %$#*&^^!!

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Ummmm...good karma? It's probably driving habits and tires. It's outfitted with Michelin LTX's at 30 psi, and I drove like a 102-year old geezer on his way home from church. And I have the 6-sp. tranny which gives me a 1-2 mpg. edge over the slushbox.

It all started as a challenge from a ladyfriend who owns an '05 PT Cruiser. She kept laughing and telling me that her PT got 35 mpg. We decided to fill both vehicles up, and the one who got the highest mileage bought dinner the following week.

HA! Her PT only got 16.4 mpg!!! Both of our jaws dropped when I clocked nearly 29. I would have never thought it was possible to get that much out of a TJL.

I'm counting on that, because my jokes are terrible. :)

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams
04 TJ Sahara averaging 20.2 MPG half hwy half city. Coasty
Reply to
Coasty

I wish I knew what kind of mileage I'm getting with /my/ "new" Jeep, but the speedometer (and odometer) aren't registering at all... Gotta go out and do some more troubleshooting.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

here's a wierd one. Although it's rare where I take a freeway trip where i can check highway mileage, my Jeepster ( 455 buick, 3.73:1, 7 inch lift, lots of extra steel), went from 8.5 to 10 MPG by swapping 32 inch MTs for 35 inch MTs. I guess the higher ratio wasn't offset by anything, and there is still plenty of torque to spare

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Hey, Garth! Very long time, no see! Though amicable, I lost the Mustang in a divorce last summer. I had planned to move back to Bozeman, MT; a buddy of mine runs flatbeds out of Butte and offered me a big piece of the action, and since I was looking to buy a Yellow

3-axle KW at the time anyway, it looked like a no-brainer.

Then Katrina happened and put everything on hold. Still wondering if it was a sign. The TJL made a LOT more sense than a Mustang for my travel plans, but for now, it's a Garage Queen.

Worse, I've stumbled bass-ackwards into an employee-owned trucking outfit out of Yuba City, CA, and now I'm making an obscene amount of cash working with that. Enough cash to retire a rich old dude. So for now, I'm still out here. Seems as though every time I get ready to bolt, something comes along to keep me planted here.

I miss Charlene, but not enough to buy another. If the '07 Dodge Challenger makes it to production with that monster 400-hp Hemi, well, ...I may have to indulge myself once again. However, I won't be selling the TJL at any point in MY lifetime! And now that a Female isn't holding the pink slip to my very existance, I actually have some say in the matter. Life is good.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

On my rescent trip to TDS (200+ miles one way), I got about 19 mpg on the way out...! But I still only average 13-15 mpg around town :(

[snip]

(95 XJ Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 235/75R15's) ...

Reply to
noneyabusiness

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

"JD Adams" wrote

: I miss Charlene, but not enough to buy another. If the '07 Dodge : Challenger makes it to production with that monster 400-hp Hemi, well, : ...I may have to indulge myself once again. However, I won't be : selling the TJL at any point in MY lifetime! And now that a Female : isn't holding the pink slip to my very existance, I actually have some : say in the matter. Life is good. :

That's pretty jacked up JD. I thought your EX didn't really like Charlene?

Ahhh well.. Change is good sometimes.

Reply to
Kate

She hated that Mustang, and she sold it as soon as she got her hands on it. Greed was the only thing that kept her from just burning it to the ground out of spite.

That's life, and change is very good sometimes! I'm a happy guy now, I'm not looking back and I have no regrets. Life is just too damn short, ya know? :)

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Good for you AND F*** her! the Karma should come back and bite her on the A$$ soon enough.

Reply to
Kate