putting a 4.0L engine in a Wrangler with previous 2.5L

Is it possible to do an engine swap 2.5L for a 4.0L? I have a 97 TJ 2.5L that needs a new motor. I would like to put a 4.0 in. Thanks

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:11:02 -0700 (PDT), bspear78

One way of 'upgrading' engines is to find a wrecked model like the one you have with the engine you want. Then you have all the bits and pieces needed (motor mounts, controllers, sensors, etc.) and are not going to spend a major amount of time and money chaseing down these smaller parts!
PeterD wrote:

That and the transmission behind the 4 banger won't handle the I6. However.
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/25to40/25to40.htm
Since the 97 has far more electronic doodads you will likely have to transplant the ECU (computer) as well. It's not like the old days.
But why stop with the I6. :) http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/Articles/05_11_06c.aspx
--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Dont forget the transmission tailshaft for the XA5 and AX15 are splined differently. Gotta either come up with the transfer case or pull it apart and replace the input gear..
Paul