Question Electric fan

It depends on the use to which you put the vehicle. It is OK for the four cylinder engine, used mainly for commuting purposes. For wheeling and back country roads it comes on a lot. You do not really want to have to depend on an electric fan, for a long climb over rough terrain. I don't think that it would be optimal for use with the six cylinder engine.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Has anyone installed an electric replacement fan on a Wrangler? Is the gained HP and added fuel milege worth the ost. Thanks for any insight. Tom

Reply to
Tom P

Reply to
Nick

Having installed electric fans on several vehicles over the years, I investigated doing it with my 258 CJ. By "investigate," I mean that I removed the clutch fan and left it off for a whole tank of gas before I spent the money and did the work. BTW, my CJ has heavy-duty cooling.

Highway results: The engine ran much quieter. Nice. HP gain? Barely perceptible, if at all. Gas mileage? About 1 mpg increase.

I'm certain that if the original fan were a rigid type, the results would have been far more dramatic, based on past experience.

In the end, I decided replacing the clutch fan with an electric one wasn't worth the expense and aggravation, so I restored the clutch fan.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Not to mention how long an electric fan motor will last with that kind of duty. The idea of an electric fan, is that most of the time, you don't need it. If you violate this assumption with your conditions of use, an electric fan is not for you. I'll bet that if I shorted the switch on mine, and just let it run, it wouldn't last an hour.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I've had my electric in for about four years, beat the crap out of my jeep offroading....and..... I live in phoenix with 118 degree summers and my temp stays just under 120, that's with a three core radiator. Nick

Hi Tom, > If you do any off road at all stick with the mechanical. There's no

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Reply to
Nick

Nick says... []

Maintaining the shroud is by far the best setup, but not the easiest.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have a Flex-A-Lite that I bought in 1980. It's seen a LOT of use and still works just fine.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

That's the key, heavy duty cooling. If you're moving at all, the fan won't come on.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

No, this isn't one of those squirrelly flexible fans, it's a printed- circuit motor with a 12" 10-blade rigid fan on it. It really moves some air.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

yup, my bad 220 Nick

Reply to
Nick

Do you know if there are better pumps or do you just use a good 3 core and shroud?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Nick

I put mine in the return path, where the coolant is about to return to the radiator. That is where the factory setups have them. I don't think that it makes much difference, except that you will be using slightly more electrical power than I will. If you look at it from a theoretical standpoint, you don't need to cool what is in the radiator, just in the engine. Another consideration is that you live in a hot climate and may want the extra buffer effect.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think you misread... :) Mines in same spot. I want the temp of the fluid coming out. Nick

Reply to
Nick