Spare tire carrier

What is the biggest tire I can mount on the stock spare tire carrier on my

89 YJ? I just need it to be 33" tall.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

a 33" will fit

Reply to
J. Sprauer
33x12.5? 33x10.5?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Yep, either will fit. Make spacers as necessary. BTW, it will tweek the tailgate and/or spring the hinges and the gate latch. It is a lot of overhung weight to be adding. Aftermarket or homemade carriers that bumper mount are preferred.

Reply to
jeff

Washers work as spacers? What size will fit w/o a spacer?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I wouldn;t mount anything larger than a 31" tire on the stock carrier. Anything larger will eventually crack the mountings loose from the sheet metal. If you need to mount a 33" tire get an aftermarket bumper/carrier combo.

Reply to
SoK66

I mounted a 31" and it slowly tore the hell out of my tailgate...wait, make that the second tailgate I've gone through.. I'm not putting it back on untill I find an affordable solution. Nick

Reply to
Nick