YJ max lift with out slip yoke eliminator

Hello,

I have a YJ 4 cyl 5 speed with stock gearing 31" tires.

I am considering installing a sway bar disconnect. I know when I do this the tires will make contact. One of the body spacer/bushings is rotted away.

What is the maximum lift recommended with out installing a slip yoke eliminator?

Will a 1" body lift or 2" suspension lift be sufficient? Perhaps I need to do both?

What is the opinion on the Rough Country add aleaf lift? I know ideal would be to replace the whole pack but I not overly concerned with a rough ride.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Marvin Oliver

Any add-a-leaf kit is garbage. You should be OK with a Rubicon Express 2.5" spring lift without getting a slip-yoke eliminator.

HTH,

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

The short YJ drive shaft is marginal and you don't know until you try it. Carl said "should". There is no such thing as off road modfications on a budget. Heh.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You really need to address the body mounts before you consider lifting. If they are all rotted, you might want to find a different Jeep to modify.

The YJ (yuppie Jeep) has soft cushy springs to start with, so an add a leaf isn't a bad way to go. You can go to a real truck spring shop where they don't use gold plated tools and think they are selling platinum springs like some 4x4 shops do and get your current pack re-arched, then add or replace one leaf with the pre-tempered and arched add a leaf.

I had this done on the old front springs of my CJ7 in 2000 to match the new arched spring pack I had to put in the back due to busted leafs. In the back they took a stock new CJ spring pack, arched them for 2 1/2" of lift and replaced the first spring down with a generic 'keeper spring' or 'add a leaf' already the correct size and arch.

I have done some serious off roading with a warn HS9000i up front and my spring have held perfectly even for these last 7 years. I also run fully loaded off road to get 'way' back into the bush for a base camp.

Including parts, the new back pack and the keepers, I believe it all cost less than $500.00. That did not include shocks.

Mike

Mike Romain

A lot of people, including myself, run standard 4" lift with a 1" drop for the transfer case. No vibration at all. Never broke a u-joint in 50K miles.

Reply to
Bob