Quick disconects

I'm a newbie still....first TJ '03

I've decided that I'm going to make my own quick disconnects...thanks to Chad Fraker for his post to my question of which brand to go with and he told me to save my money and showed me these plans

I have no time to make them before trail run on sunday..... howhard is it to remove the sway bars for the run then put them back onafter??? as long as I'm on level ground this is not too bad?? or should I just run stock a few times first....remebering I'm a newbie with an '03 TJ....30" GSA's Thanks...lookin' forward to the opinions of others, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You just pull one nut off and flip the link up and tie it up with a plastic zip tie or piece of string.

The one side will flip up and down from being connected to the other side.

Doing it the first time is a bitch, after that it is easy.

Mike

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

By disconnecting it improves articulation?? So is there one in the rear too?! wouldn't think so....

something funny about that word...articulation. If you can't articulate, you can't say articulation. Like....the cruelty of putting an S in LISP!

Reply to
SB

Welcome to the sport

Before I put my lift on my quick disconnect kit was a ratchet with the funky torx head socket and a crescent wrench. I would get out and unbolt the ends connected to the axle and rotate the sway bar and links up and out of the way. At first I used cable ties to hold it up, until I discovered a dog collar with a quick release. I put that over the fender support and now I just clip the sway bar up.

My tool kit contains a ratchet and a 2 foot cheater pipe. I can and have removed those sway bar bolts in under 5 minutes on brand new TJ's. With the cheater it isn't hard at all.

Yup, the trick is to be on level ground. When it is time to reconnect, if things don't line up just right have a friend gently rock the Jeep side to side while you slip the parts together. One big advantage to using the stock bolts, other than cost, is they allow a little bit of misalignment. When you tighten them up they pull everything into line.

NO! Friends don't let friends drive stock Jeeps! Even if you just remove two bolts, your TJ isn't stock any more. In all honesty two mods will make your TJ a killer off road, remove the sway bar and lower the tire pressure. Cost? Next to nothing. When I first got my TJ I went to the local Jeep playground and tried a number of experiments with tire pressure high or low and the sway bar connected or not. The single biggest improvement came from dropping the tire pressure to the 12 - 15 psi range. So if you do nothing else drop your tire pressure.

Dean

Dean

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Completely removing the sway bar (as opposed to just disconnecting) will make your TJ a killer on road, too. 8^P

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

how big of a 'swing' does it give you on stock vehicles (no lifts)

Disconnected:

articulate,

Reply to
SB

Hmm, this reminds me, maybe I'll untie my sway bars and reconnect them from that trip I took in '01...

coop

Reply to
cooper

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

uh oh...yer in trouble!! No pic attachments on this group!

Reply to
SB

Just unscrew the bottom nut and bolt on both sides and swing the bar and links up towards the fenders. I've used cable ties, wire and an old dog collar to hold the sway bar up. If you want you can push the links in towards the frame if you want, but I never had any problems with them getting in the way.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Is the sway bar that little vertical bar in that picture. Looks a bit like a pitman arm??

I thought it was a horizontal bar that ran on an angle...??

Reply to
SB

It is one big massive bar that connects the two sides of the suspension together via those vertical bars or sway bar links. It is the links folks disconnect.

Mike

SB wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain