Radiator on 86 Cherokee only secured by two bolts on top?

Well, the Cherokee is now running so good that it decided last night it needed to take a leak out of it's 18 year old radiator. Hey when ya gotta go, ya gotta go...

The fins between the lines are so toasted that they turn to dust when you press on em...

Anyways, dropped a new radiator in... still hooking it up... is it only supposed to be secured by the two bolts on the top/side?

Also, how's the best way to flush the motor before I refill it?

86 Cherokee 2.5 liter no ac. manual tranny

Thanks for all the help guys!

Reply to
<Skip>

Yup, just a couple bolts.

Their is a drain on the engine block under the rear of the exhaust manifold to drain it. You could be amazed at the junk that will come out.

I usually feed a garden hose into the heater hose to flush the system out.

Mike

Skip wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yup, 2 bolts. Flush? remove the thermostat, stuff a hose in and pack with a rag to slow backflow, open heater to full hot, hose it out, then reverse flow do it again.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Why do you need to flush the new radiator? (I am assuming that you are putting in a new one, or a rebuilt one that just came out of a box.)

If all you took out was two bolts on the top, then there should be some kind of clips at the bottom to hold it still.

Reply to
CRWLR

Yup 2 bolts on top, and 2 slots on the bottom where the rad drops into. Word from the wise ... double check the condition of the tanks on the new rad..

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Flushing the block...