Do I buy 00 or 01 FSM?

Hi All,

It may seem like a trivial question, but I am a bit confused. I bought my TJ last year and all documentation from the dealer and import and registration documentation indicate it to be a 01 model. However, when I do a VIN decode on the internet, it says it is a 00 model. It really makes not much of a difference to me personally as pricing on used 00 and 01 are almost identical here in NZ. Build date according to the dealer is 12 August 2000 with a further 37 day lag in delivery in NZ, so it was sold as a 01 to the original buyer in Jan 01.

Given the background, my questions are:

1) Should I buy the FSM for 00 or 01?

2) Should I be looking at buying components (lifts, etc) and accessories for 00 or 01?

I have looked at the page which outlines differences between Wrangler models, but I seem to have a mixed situation on that test as well. I thought more experienced Jeoples on this group might be more helpful than contacting D/C for a clearer answer. I was looking at buying stuff off the internet as NZD/USD forex rate is reasonably favourable for us currently.

Thanks in advance, TW

Reply to
TW

L.W.(ßill)

If it was built in august it should be an 01.

Dan Ferrell 84 CJ-7 "built in october"

Reply to
Dan Ferrell

I'm pretty sure that if the factory build date was August, 2000, then it is a 2001 model.

My '02 TJ was built in August of '01.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Thanks, I'll stick with '01 model items.

TW

Reply to
TW

Great, thanks.

TW

Reply to
TW

Thanks, Bill. I'll stick with '01 for FSM and accessories. I have done some reading now and think the VIN says the build year and not the model year (which could be different). Per my build order transmission is "3-Spd. Automatic, 32RH" with "Lock-Up Torque Converter".

I have another question for you. Lately I have noticed that when I brake at highway speeds, there is a slight vibration in my steering wheel and pulsation in the brake paddle. It doesn't happen everytime I brake at highway speeds. At speeds below 50 km/h, there is no vibration or anything. On the day when it is vibrating, it only vibrate between the speeds of 80 km/h and 50 km/h as I am slowing down, then its gone. I have booked for a 36,000 km service in a couple of weeks at the dealers and wanted them to have a look at this as well. But for my own knowledge, I wanted to understand what could it be. Unfortunately, I don't have enough space in my parking area to do any major DIY explorations. Thanks for your help.

Kind regards TW

Reply to
TW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks, is this something that could be covered under the original warranty as I do have a couple of months before it expires. Warranty is the reason why I am going back to the dealer for a service and look over. As soon as we move to a place where I have more space, I intend to work on the TJ myself as much as possible.

Have a nice day, its raining cats and dogs outside rightnow and we have a club run in a nearby native bush area planned for tomorrow, should be a fun day.

TW

Reply to
TW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks again. I hope they don't try to wiggle out of it on some pretext.

Ahh, summer in Auckland.... Hot (26C) and Humid (100% humidity) with no wind. Makes nice mud patches and slippery slopes for fun in a TJ!

Appreciate your suggestions.

TW

Reply to
TW