Re: 97 JGC Door trim panels

Hi all,

> > I'm trying to check out the lock mechanism on my 97 jeep grand cherokee, > and I can't seem to figure out how to get the trim panel off on one of the > doors without taking the chance of breaking something. Do I have to remove > the whole panel to work on the lock mechanism (near the handle), or is > there a way to get just that piece around the handle off. The Haynes > manual is useless for this, as the pictures show a much older model than > the one I have. I've removed a little plastic piece behind the handle, and > found a screw there (and took it out), I've also removed a little round > plastic piece that's a little lower, and removed the screw under that. > There are also two torx screws behind the handle that are *really* hard to > get at. I've removed one, and I've loosened the other one as far as I can > currently get it...I'm hoping as I pull off the panel, I'll be able to > take it all the way off. > > Is there something I'm missing here?

Keep in mind I'm talking about the 93

There is one screw in the triangular bit by the rear view mirror, in the door handle hole, in the vent hole that feeds the defroster, in the armrest fingerpocket, and one below the armrest.

With the window down you have to pull carflully along the bottom to unpop the trees (plastic holders) (watch your fingers that plastic can be razor sharp) Then you probably will have to disconnect the switches and hold the door handle out to slip the door off.

Reply to
DougW

Just did this last month on my 97 GC (replace speaker). No need to remove the door handle by removing the two screws. Just remove the screw behind the pop out bezel at the handle and the button below the arm rest (also one near mirror on front door) and start popping out the plastic clips (about 1.5 inches inside the edge) holding the trim panel from the bottom and sides. The top of the trim slips over the door edge between the metal and the window. No need to remove the speaker grill. After the clips are free reach behind and disconnect the wiring and then manuver around the chrome door handle (might have to open the handle). The factory manual is much more useful than the the off brand versions, its shows the clips and screws clearly.

Reply to
Howard