Re: K&N FIPK: Worth it?

Here's a serious Jeep question:

> > What's the dilly-o with the K&N FIPK? I'm skeptical. It has a filter end > that has about the same surface area as a flat K&N filter that you might > find in a Wrangler air box. > > But the actual route that the air takes down that bent tube once it's > past the filter end is LONGER in comparison with the path it takes from > the normal airbox to the throttle. > > A bottleneck is a bottleneck, no? And with any fluid system, be it gas > or liquid, the longer the bottleneck, the more restrictive that path is. > I'm not convinced that more air is getting shoved down that longer tube. > I would think that a path that's half the distance is going to deliver > the air with less turbulence and resistance. > > What do you guys think? >

Depends if the flow path is smoother, straighter, and has the same cross section all the way through. A 4 foot long straight tube with consistent cross sectional area will flow more air with less turbulence than a 3 foot long tube that changes sizes and has bends in it. there are actually formulae to calculate the flow losses caused by bends or tees, or any other trait that causes air (or fluid flow) to change direction or speed. A good example is an intake port on a cylinder head. It is common to raise the ports for racing in order to have a straighter shot at the valve, and even though the port is longer, it has the same cross section and flows substantially more air.

Chris

Mike Taylor

What makes you think the intake tube is restrictive?

Reply to
steelwhee

I think you are putting you and your family in DANGER by installing that thing. Geez.

;-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Jeffrey would be DECEIVING HIS WIFE by buying this thing...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

What's this??? Judging from all his malicious postings recently, I thought Jeff knew everything!!! LOL After verbally attacking several posters, I am surprised that anyone would even help him. Just proves how good "most" Jeep people are.

Reply to
Tookie

I have had mine installed for over a year now and have no regrets.

It completely surprises me that any air at all gets through the stock setup (which tries to suck air through a quarter sized hole, then through my grandma's wool sweater, then down the hallway, around the corner, then into the basement).

Reply to
Joe Blow

Really. So would you say it's worth the bucks?

Reply to
Jeffrey Leonard

I'm not convinced it is, it just seems like it might be. The added length, and the two near 90 degree bends in it. Without actually measuring one, it looks to me like a longer path, and possibly more restrctive.

If I had one in front of me to compare with the stock set up I might have all my doubts disappear.

Has anyone here ever dynoed the difference in HP claimed versus actual?

Reply to
Jeffrey Leonard

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I thought we were here to talk about Jeeps. Do you want Lou Ellen the Turd to send a complaint to your ISP (and 40 others that have nothing to do with you) and get your ass tossed?

Reply to
Jeffrey Leonard

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's true, Bill! In fact, if you just leave the whole thing in the box and run an open TB, you can get LOTS of air! Think of all the power! ...and don't worry about the dust, it's small... ;)

Reply to
TJim

Hey now, you guys are *MEAN* !! I mean, how guilty would you feel if poor Jeffrey got stuck out in the desert somewhere, hunting Bambi?

TJim wrote:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Too late. I already caught your mama.