Re: Need Ordiginal Sheet Metal

Well I just finished putting the NV3550 into my 1988 Jeep Wrangler. After

> having to cut the floor board back 1/2" towards the center counsel I now > have a big problem. The original rubber boot that go over the two shifter > levers is not big enough to cover the entire hole. As a matter of a fact > where the original screw hole were to hold these boots down there isn't any > sheet metal. The question is, can I buy the original sheet metal from any > vendor that does not have any holes in it and then cut my own. Of course > this means I have to replace the carpet too. Any ideas?

Suggestion, try to fabricate it yourself. Start with a piece of cardboard and cut it to size, mark all the holes, set it in just like you would the steel.

Then get a piece of sheet stock and use the cardboard template to mark it.

Since this piece is exposed below you should paint all exposed areas with rust proofing and use some RTV sealant to ensure a gas-tight/water-tight seal. Watch the sheet metal screws so you don't accidentally hit something under the pan.

Of course this depends a lot on what tools you have, but your basic hammer, sandbag, skill saw, and drill should get you going.

Small pieces of steel are available at most lumber yards or from local metal fabricator shops. Actually some fabricator shops might just help you learn how.

Reply to
DougW

Or you might try roof flashing or ducting material - often available in rolls and made of aluminum or galvanized steel.

JELo

Reply to
JELo

Reply to