Need Help Locating a Part for My Jeep

I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler with a 15-gallon gas tank. I've had the jeep in a garage due to a leaking fuel line and they also told me my Fuel Tank Skid Plate needs replacing as it's rusting through but they cannot find a replacement and have been told that part is no longer made.

I even tried calling up Quadratec since their Spring 2005 catalog had what I needed but even they told me the part was discontinued.

Does anybody know where I could check to possibly locate what I need?

Reply to
Dereck L. Dietz

I ordered a replacement skid plate for my 87 YJ from rubicon4x4.com.

What the shipped me was a skid plate cover. My mechanic told me this after he had spend a few hours cutting it to fit.

If you order from them, get a live person and make sure what you get is a replacement plate, not a cover.

Reply to
Steve Foley

If you have to, you could get a replacement fabricated locally. It is nothing more nor less than a big piece of sheet metal. A recycling yard would probably have a serviceable part too. These guys are good.

If you live in the rust belt, which it soundslike you might, avoid rust belt recycling yards. By the way, the 15-gallon tank is actually a 20-gallon tank, with a longer vent tube that prevents complete fill up. It is easily removed.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Explain this a little more

"By the way, the 15-gallon tank is actually a 20-gallon tank, with a longer vent tube that prevents complete fill up. It is easily removed"

Isn't the 15 gallon tank narrower than the 20? Seems like when you look at the rear of the jeep you can see that the 15 gallon tank has a few inches of extra room on the sides than the 20. Am I missing something here?

Reply to
Rusted

Same tank, different insert.

Dave Milne

If the mounting brackets and tabs are still sound you can take it over to your corner welding shop and have Elmer just weld another 3/16 inch (or heavier) piece of traction plate over the existing one.

If the mounts have advanced body cancer Elmer can use the old one as a template for repair.

Before you re-install it give it a good coating of rust inhibiting paint. The best source for advise and materials is a real paint shop, not the paint department at Home Depot or Lowes. Tell the guy what you intend the paint for and he will get you the right stuff and you might be surprised how affordable it is.

I went to Cincinnati Color yesterday to ask about painting aluminum running boards and got advise from the "new" guy. (He has only been there 12 years) He told me how to do the preparation and the materials would be $6.95/quart and they would custom tint the color to match the body cladding or the body paint at no charge.

FWIW they recommended Kentucky Coatings Rust-Nox II (direct to metal)

Reply to
Billy Ray

Don't know where they are looking for that skid plate, but I phoned my local chrysler dealer, he didn't have one but phoned another dealer for me, in stock on the shelf, and this was for an 81 CJ7. $ 150.00 Canadian, about $115.00 US last year.

Reply to
Greg