2001 maxima trunk / spare tire well question

I've got a 2001 max SE, and Ihad a subwoofer in my trunk (a single 12" in apprx. 1.0 cubic foot box) well, after having it in there for a little while,
when I opened my trunk there was like a hole in the middle. an area where the trunk dipped down. I tok my sub out and pulled up the rug to discover the only thing covering the spare tire well is what appears to be an expensive piece of cardboard, but it was bent in the middle from my sub. first of all, what the fuck was nissan thinking by putthing this shitty thing there, it probably can't hold mroe than 20 ro 3 lbs on it. 2nd, has anyone used anythign else to cover up the spare tire well. I want to put my sub back in but with thatr board bent in half, all it does is fall into the tire well, which pulls the wires out of the amp, it happened once, and I don't want it to damage somethign if it happens again. thanks -Slick Nick
Got the same problem in my 95 with the sinking floor. The sub was installed with Velcro on the bottom, so it stays in one place on the rug to the right rear of the trunk. You might try securing the sub that way. But other stuff like my ws wash gallon bottles cave in the floor. Even groceries roll to the center. I am probably going to cut a piece of plywood to match the cardboard. I wonder if a full-size spare tire would help? Does one fit in that well? Good luck. Bob 95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

12" in

little while,

where the

discover the only

expensive piece of

what the

probably can't

to cover

board bent

wires out of

if it

Jeez guys, just cut up some plywood and you'll be in business again.

I believe that was mentioned, thanks.

single
area
all,
else
thatr
somethign
On 2/24/04 11:10 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com, "habibe99"

The '95 -'99s had a piece of 1/4 inch plywood covering the spare. You might hit the local Home Depot for a sheet of plywood. Maybe upsize to 3/8" or 1/2" if you carry heavy stuff. Use the OEM cardboard for a template to cut it out.
thanks, I thought of using plywood already, was just wondering if anyone had any other creative responses. velcro to hold the sub down is a great idea. is there some place you can get strong velcro? or did you just use a lot of it? thanks -Slick Nick