Sealing doghouse holes

My engine's ninth-hand doghouse has a few miscellaneous holes of various sizes in it. PO's doing odd stuff, no doubt. I have learned that duct tape only holds for a while. What works mo' better?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

That metal foil tape you can get in the air conditioning isle at Home Depot or Lowe's works well but it's unsightly.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

You might try a finishing plug, like these from McMaster-Carr:

BTW, if some of those holes are on the rear of the shroud they may be for spark plug wire clips, like this:
hth

Reply to
Scott H

Welding.

Or beer cans. (Plus a little JB Weld.)

Sand both surfaces bright. Trim the patch to allow an overlap of 3/8" to 1/2". Draw a set of cross-hairs over/past the hole so you can center the patch. Apply a THIN coat of JB Weld. Press the patch in place, cover with waxed paper, apply a weight or other means of keeping things flat & in position.

Give it 24 hours to cure. 23 if you're in a hurry.

RTV will also work.

Or you can solder a patch in place. Use copper roof flashing or a piece of tin-can stock. Use eutectic solder and a 100W. iron (no torches please). If you keep the solder-line thin, use the nickle-based eutectic stuff (available from welding supply houses) and well-tinned THIN steel for the patch, this method works almost as good as welding.

Fiberglas will also work. Use epoxy resin rather than vinylester. Score the steel with a #24 flapper... the resin needs some 'tooth' to get a grip on. Saturate the patch atop a piece of Saran wrap. Provide some means to press/hold the patch in place until it cures. Leave the Saran wrap ON the patch until it cures. This type of patch will come off after a while.

For a temporary patch of a small hole, JB Weld & beer can aluminum works best.

The proper fix is to weld or braze the hole closed.

BIG hole (air conditioner compressor cut-out, etc), semi-permanent patch, rivet the patch-plate in place. Make the patch-plate out of aluminum roof flashing. Use RTV as a sealant; overlap about 3/4". Accurately size the patch, do several trial fits, then drill the edge of the patch for a pop-rivet about every inch. Drill the first hole then hold it in place with #6 sheet metal screws as you drill the others. Then remove the patch-panel, debur the holes, apply sealant, put the patch in place & hold with a few screws while you do the poppers.

This is also the Po' Boy Muffler Repair. Use tin-can stock instead of aluminum, high temp RTV instead of regular. Usually holds up just long enough to pass smog. (If for a fuel tank, use polysulfide sealant [get a tube of it from a boat shop] and use closed-end poppers, dipped in the sealant before being inserted in the hole.)

Few thousand other ways to do it but I haven't had my coffee yet...

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

*clutches chest* 'Lisbeth! I'm comin' to join you! This is the big one! :-)
Reply to
Shaggie

For holes on a black surface, I usually use Permatex black rtv sealant gasket maker. I am not sure of the name but it is not the wheather stripping adhesive made by the same company. Clean the surface first with some rubbing alcohol on a clean paper towel, let dry, and neatly dab a little of this goop in the hole. Let dry a few hours or overnight. It also works well for small holes in the trunk area up front to help keep a freezing breeze from entering the cabin in Winter.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Rubber plugs that have a groove cut into the side.

Or maybe you are talking about the holes for the plug lead holders?

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson