Re: no power steering, ok to drive?

Is it the box itself or the pump? I would tend to beleive the pump would have problems instead of the box. Do you have any leaks? Is the fluid still full?

It seems that my power steering box in my '79 CJ 7 finally died last > night also(on the way to the club meeting) It just feels like I have > manual steering now all of the time. Is it ok to drive it like this? I > assume it is just like have manual steering. I am going to have to save > some $$ before I can buy a new steering box, but still have to be able > to drive the Jeep occasionally. Where is the cheapest place anyone has > found for a power steering box? > > Also another related question: > Would a bad alignment(toe in) adversely affect the steering box? The > Jeep drives straight(most of the time when the steering was not acting > up) but did not recenter automatically after a turn. > -- > Aaron Graham >
1948 Willys & 1979 CJ7> o_o_o_o> /| ,[_____], > |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O- > ()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)
Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Aaron Graham

I tried to find some better info in the newsgroup but didn't. But my understanding is that your power steering functions mostly are tied to your pump and you pressure/return lines. The steering box is pretty much just a gear box that is assisted by the fluid and hydraulic pressure from your pump. Someone can feel free to correct me and point me to better information if I am mistaken.

According to autozone.com the prices for a new (rebuilt) pump for your 79 are: Part# core/chg Price ATSCO (WITH RESERVOIR) 6051 $15.00 $71.99 ATSCO (WITHOUT RESERVOIR) 6253 $10.00 $44.99

I beleive a new steering geabox runs in the neighborhood fo $250. My suggestion would be that if nobody can provide any better information than me. Go to a parts store and pick their brain a bit. Most stores have at least 1 knowledgable person to help dignose these types of problems. I know I would rather change out a $70 pump than a $250 gearbox though.

Double check and make sure the belt that drives your pump didn't break and fall out of the engine bay as well. Not likely, but certainly possible. You might also consider disconnecting your return line and putting it in a bucket to see if it pumps fluid out. If not you could have a clogged line.

Just my .02! All I've really done is ever remove mine to clean it up and change the seals so I'm no p/s expert.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

I was told not to drive without a functional PS-pump. They said because of all the little balls inside het PS-box pressure could build up en suddenly release, resulting in unexpected lane changes. Driving with no fluid means no lubrication means more wear on parts. Which could result in a lock-up, and an expected but very unwanted turn.

From what I'm told.

Thom.

Reply to
Thom

This kind of sounds like what I have been dealing with lately.

Reply to
Aaron Graham

You now have the common "Steering by ArmStrong". ...Get it? ;)

Cheers, - Jeff G

Aar> It seems that my power steering box in my '79 CJ 7 finally died last

Reply to
Jeff Gross

Someone is yanking your chain.

Reply to