Re: paint problems

FWIW, neither mine, nor any of the Rubi's I've seen have had any paint issues... td

argh.......the paint on my rubicon is starting to just pop off in spots! i > had noticed it before the move but it looked like chalky powder sitting on > the paint (i thought maybe i had spilled some baking soda on it or > something......i use baking soda daily). closer inspection shows flakes of > paint laying around with it crumbling (very brittle) all around where the > paint is coming up. > anybody else having this problem? when it stops raining im going to go buy > another digi-cam (last one got stolen during the move) and take some pics. > > -- > Nathan W. Collier >

Tyler Dirden

Thomas W.

"Chalking" It's caused by disintegration of the binder and is usually caused by the choice of pigment or binder. The spray gun got held too far away from the vehicle so partially dry paint landed.

There is no fix apart from sand to a good base, prime, and repaint. :(

Reply to
DougW

the first spot isnt very big. its on the drivers side of the hood, just above the "C".

it still concerns me thoughbecause i can see the problem spreading since the paint around it isbrittle.

the second spot is the size of a quarter, and is dead in the middle of the top of the hood.

it concerns me for the samereasons.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

choice of pigment or binder.

should i be concerned about other areas of the vehicle as well that havent surfaced yet? after they bought the blue rubicon back from me due to paint issues, they (and me) went over this one "with a fine tooth comb" and found no issues of concern and now i have this happening. thanks doug!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Hard to say. Usually vehicles are painted with all parts on, then broken back apart for the assembly line. (that's what they do at the GM plant here, neat tour too.)

I did loose a spot to birdpoo. That damn bird must have crossbred with an Alien, went right through the clearcoat. Looks similar to that round spot in the pic, but pictures don't show paint well at all.

Might be worth while to take your Rubi to a good paint shop and ask what they think. Either way, with a vehicle that new you shouldn't be having any paint problems.

Reply to
DougW

It may not have been a factory problem. When I worked for a car dealership years ago, 80% of the vehicles we got had to be run through the body shop for some sort of touch up before sale. It may be a poor dealer repair.

Reply to
Ken Finney

I've never seen anything like that. It looks like something is getting on the paint an dissolving it. It doesn't look like a paint problem or a prep problem. I would think that if you had a bad batch of paint, you'd see many more areas of flaking. JMHO I'm not a paint expert, nor do I play one on TV... TJim

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
TJim

I think his wife found out about the 'vette and threw battery acid on his Jeep.

Reply to
Jeffrey Leonard

Some of the preproduction Rubicons had paint issues, you definitely need to bring that back, should be covered under warranty.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
Thomas W.

It's not, a friend of mine who got a pre-production Rubicon on the D-C fasttrack lease has some discoloration on the front fender.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
baggss

never on either. closer inspection reveals a place on the rear tailgate that hasnt popped off yet, but looks like its getting ready to. im going to take it to get it looked at once we're settled in, unpacked, and have returned to a sense of normalcy.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

.....being able to walk through my house without tripping over boxes. :-) being able to walk outside to the mailbox without getting lost in the deep grass. having fully stocked shelves again, having furniture (gave a lot away because i didnt have room for it).

....slowly but surely!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to