Re: TJ air bags and hard offroding?

Nope, no worries on the air bags at all, no way, no how do they go off in even hard-core offroading.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

The airbag sensor isn;t mounted on the bumper, it's located on the tranny tunnel under the dash. It's an intertial-type sensor, not an "impact" sensor. You'll do fine, but if you want to bump into rocks, you'd do well to replace the stock sheetmetal bumper with something more substantial.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

I've been working on the principle that its better to have a bumper that's weaker than the chassis. After all, if it gets bent, its easy to straighten it out again. However, I suppose a really good thump at the end could cut a tyre.

-- Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

if i'm recalling correctly, on most air bag systems, there are several "conditions" that all have to be met for the air bag to deploy....one is vehicle speed above a certain threshold, another is a relatively "head-on" collision......i think in regards to off road and air bags, the speed thing is the biggie....you shouldn't be going THAT fast off-roading...

Reply to
someone