? re: TJ production #'s

Here's one for the Jeep historians in the group. I know that the TJ was introduced in 1996 as a 1997 model, but can anyone tell me WHEN in 1996 the first ones came off the line? Also, is there any way to determine from the VIN when it was produced? I don't think Jeep uses sequential serial #'s - do they? Reason I ask is because I have a 97 TJ who's doorjamb sticker says it was manufactured in August 1996. I'm wondering how early in the TJ run this one is. Thanks in advance,

-Ed

Reply to
Ed J.

August '96 production would be about five months after TJ startup. As I recall they hit the dealerships in Spring '96 as a '97 model. My local dealer at the time was still selling '95 YJ Wranglers up until March or April 1996. Some of the very late '95 YJs got the TJ 4.0l 6cyl, TJ tailgate hinges and hood hardware.

.
Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That site just says the last 6 digits are the serial number. I doubt if the first TJ had the last 6 digits of 000001, so if they are sequential we'd have to know a) does the sequence cover only TJs and not all models, and if so - b) what was the first TJs #?

Reply to
Ed J.

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mine is one of the first '97 TJs (purchased 5/96) and it has a 3/96 build date. But I think they started production maybe in January or probably most likely 2/96.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford