2002 TJ Gearbox

Hi, I have spoken to Jeep to find out what gearbox is fitted to my

4.0L 2002 TJ they can only tell me that it is an Aisin does this mean it is the AX15 or could it be an AX5. This was using the VIN number to look it up.

Thanks Nick

Reply to
Nick

Should be a New Venture 3550 like mine. Does it sound like a diesel when in neutral with the motor running? If so, it's the NV3550.

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

It gives the impression that someone has left a pound of ball bearings in the transmission when idling with the clutch engaged. The only reason that I thought it was possibly an AX15 is that the Jeep dealer ran my VIN Number and said that the gearbox came up Aisin where as the NV3550 is New Venture or are they the same company.? The dealer could not be anymore help as to the model which is a little worrying.

Cheers Nick

Reply to
Nick

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

New Venture Gear Inc. Company Profile

A so>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

My 99 makes noise when sitting in neutral with my foot off of the clutch.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Oh, I thought you were talking about the noise in neutral (which I remember a flood of complaints about when DC switched to the NV in '00). Ya, if he has an AX-15, it's a '99 or lower for sure (and a 4.0L I would assume). If this is a 4cyl, I think they continued with the Asian (AX-5, not AX-15) through the '01 models (changing in '02 I think?).

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Thanks for the comments, I have emailed DaimlerChrysler in the states on the link posted earlier with my VIN details to see whay they say, I am not sure why it would be a 99 car(but anything is possible) as the Jeep sticker inside the door gives a manufactured date of 2002 I can't remember the month and its chucking it down outside so I am not going to venture outside to look (not the true Jeep spirit I know :-) ). I will wait and see what Jeep America come back with as it is my local dealer who's given me the information about it being an Aisin box.

Cheers Nick

Reply to
Nick

Where was your Jeep's assembly location? I don't know if TJ's for the UK market are assembled in North America or not. If not, it's possible you have the Aisin, tho that's just an assumption on my part.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

DaimlerChrysler have come back with the full listing and it is definetly an NV3550 in the car, thanks for all the responses. So I am off to buy some Redline MTL to stick in it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
FrankW

Mine was built in Toledo.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hold on there buckaroo, before you buy that Redline, know that it does not meet the spec for the New Venture tranny. Get Pennzoil "Syncromesh" Manual Transmission Fluid, or go to the dealer and get reamed. The NV3550 does not take standard gear oil.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Nick, as much as I like and recommend Redline's MTL and MT-90 for the AX-15 used in earlier TJs, you should really use Pennzoil's or GM's Synchromesh tranny fluid in your NV 3550. I have four quarts of Redline MT-90 that just arrived from Summit Racing for my AX-15 so I do like the stuff but Synchromesh is more appropriate for your NV3550. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

In fact my owner's manual for my 2001 TJ states for the 4.0L models "use only Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant (part# 4874464). This is the only fluid recommended for this transmission."

Reply to
John Benito