belt squeal when a/c turns on '96 jeep cherokee

I can't seem to find a way of tightening the belt on my jeep Cherokee. I turn the a/c unit on and it squeals like crazy for a while. The belt is factory and less than a year old. Not sure why it is doing this, but I thought I will try and tighten it.

Any suggestions would be great, Curt

Reply to
curt

Your Cherokee has a tension pulley... it is self adjusting. Your tensioner may be worn out, not to worry, it's an easy fix but if I recall, they aren't cheap. Before replacing, try some belt dressing to take away the squeal. This may help provided your tensioner is okay.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Well, I gave it my best and it didn't work out. The reason is, is that it doesn't work that way on a '96. I called some friends and they told me some ways it might work and here is how it does. Below the steering pump is a pulley that adjust the tension. You loosen the pulley bolt and then adjust the screw to tighten. Then tighten the pull bolt and that is it. It took me an hour to do a 10 minute job. Oh well, I will know next time.

Thanks for the try, Curt

Reply to
curt

Reply to