rear differential

I have been working on a 1984 CJ-7 and thought I would drain the transmission, transfer case and differentials while I was waiting for some parts to arrive. I was surprised that there was no drain or fill plug on the rear diff.(I never looked at the front one and just assumed it is the same) Does anyone know if these are sealed? And, if oil has leaked out, how do you replace it? Thanks

Reply to
Steve

Drain the diff by taking the cover off. Fill the diff by taking the fill plug out of the other side, and filling to the bottom of the hole.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There is a bolt you remove to check the oil. If it's not in the back pan, it is in the side of the housing or around in the front by the pinion.

The drain on most of them is the back cover. Remove all the bolts except one top center, just loosen that. Then pry carefully with something under to catch the gush of stinky goop.

Mike

Mike Romain

The jiffy lube type places have a vacuum that sucks the old oil out. But at home you just remove the cover, inspect what is inside for damage or wear, and put the cover back on with some RTV.

Reply to
Rusted