Re-tapping a threaded hole

I am thinking of drilling out and re-tapping a threaded hole in the front of my YJ frame. The original thread is 1/2 inch. Will it work if I drill it out with a 1/2 inch bit and then tap to 5/8 coarse thread?

Another option I'm considering is to drill out the threaded holes at the top and bottom of the frame to 1/2 inch, inserting a crush sleave and a long 1/2 bolt all the way through.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
nrs

nutsert or #$%!!* depeding on if your the parts shop or the mechanic.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

If this is the threaded hole for the bumper that I am thinking about, the one that you are supposed to mount tow hooks on, then maybe, just maybe you can access the inside after you get the bumper off.

It doesn't have anything like a real nut, just some threads chased into the frame rail. I really, really doubt that it would hold a 5/8 coarse thread.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks you Sir.

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for the ideas. Sounds like those nutserts are not too strong then. There is no bolt stuck in the hole, it is just that the threads are damaged by rust and by the previous owner who put on a bumper using metric bolts. I'm doing this to install a tow point so I'll drill through and insert a 6" bolt from bottom to top in the bumper attachement holes. I'll use the stock hole farther back on the frame and for extra strength drill through the frame where the round crossmember is and put in another bolt with a nut inside the round crossmember. That should be strong enough.

Reply to
nrs

The long bolt through the frame isn't a good idea unless it has a crush sleeve inside the frame. It won't stay stable or tight.

It is easy enough to put one in.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks Mike. Actually, I was planning on using a crush sleeve thanks to your post regarding feedback on a bumper design in another thread. Already bought the pipe!

Reply to
nrs