Rebuild or buy new

Reply to
bllsht

Torquing down an old leaky gasket can make the leak worse. Been there, done that. Gaskets are cheap.

Mike Romain proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

OK... If you really are intending to KEEP the Jeep, now is the time to "do it right" and get it over with. If it has not been done already, it is time to replace the "timing chain and gears" on that

318. Seeing as how you have numerous gaskets that are 15 years old and fatigued, it will be MUCH better to just PULL the engine and do it all while on an engine stand.

Replace the Timing Chain AND Gears New Timing Cover gaskets and Front Crank Seal New Water Pump New Oil Pan Gasket New Rear Main Crank Seal New Valve Cover Gaskets

I would also replace all of the "freeze plugs" or core plugs while I had it out of the Jeep. There are some on the rear of the engine that can not be reached without pulling the transmission or engine. (Ask me how I know that!)

That should set your 318 up to be ready for another 100,000 miles at least.

Good Luck, Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry