Red line on 258

I was wondering what the red line / max RPM for this motor is. My friend and I tried to look it up in a couple of books but the closest thing we got was 3200 rpms.

Thanks again

Shamus

80 CJ-5 bla bla bla +++
Reply to
Shamus O Hire

A product review from 1977 lists these Hp ratings:

232ci 6: 100Hp @ 3600rpm 258ci 6: 110Hp @ 3500rpm 304ci 8: 150Hp @ 4200rpm

I would guess that the red line is someplace north of those numbers.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I asked Hesco the same question.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Boy that wasn't much of a definitive answer was it!! Talk about CYA!! But at least Hesco tried. I had people decline to answer that question due to liability issues!!! OH PLEASE!!!!

Shamus

80 CJ-5 bla bla bla +++
Reply to
Shamus O Hire

Red Line is a number that you really want to express too low as opposed to too high.

When you don't know where Red Line is supposed to be, set your tach at the lowest number you can find. Since the 258 is a long stroke motor, it does not spin very fast. I think that 3200 number that you found is as good a guess as any. Since the motor protests loudly at that speed, it makes sense to not push it any further.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
breyfogle

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The red line is 4500 on my stock tach and my CJ7 258 2 bbl with no computer can turn almost there. I ran mine up to 4400 in second and it topped over 50 mph. It ran into an rpm wall at 4400.

When I had the computer running things, 32-3500 was tops. It sounded like it would explode any faster.

Mike

Shamus O Hire wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The factory tach on my 88 has 4500 as redline, I'll never have to worry about hitting that!!! Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

I found this:

Which claims that the red line on the 258 is 3500. I find that kinda curious, since the diesels that drive the generator sets I work with run at 3600.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton