Clearing error codes P0455 and P1486 on an 01 WranglerWill diconnecting the battery clear these codes?

Will diconnecting the battery clear these codes? Ive gone through 3 warm up cycles and the light is still on filled the gas tank tightened the cap checked the plumbing to the LDP and evap canister. Possibly have a problem back to the gas tank seeing that I took a minor hit to the left rear corner of the jeep from another car a while back. I don't have a scan tool the errors were gathered at the emmision control station. Like an idiot I took it there with the check engine light on, oh well TIA

Reply to
joe

yup that should do it

Reply to
WYTEKER51

Yes.

You need 3 good trips, not warm up cycles to extinguish the check engine light. That is 3 trips where the evap monitor (or self test) has run and passed. That monitor only runs after a cold start, so it likely ain't gonna happen in one day. Could be a week or more. If you never fix the leak, you'll never get rid of the light.

Now the fun part. Disconnecting the battery, or even using a scan tool to erase codes also erases stored monitor information. So, just before you take your vehicle back to have it tested, you erase the trouble codes and turn off the check engine light. They run the test and the computer in your car reports that all the monitors haven't run. Congratulations, you just failed your smog test.

The bottom line is it needs to be fixed, and needs to pass the monitor or no certificate for you.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hey Joe... It's a "Jeep Thing" I made five trips to my local Jeep dealer to fix the check engine light. They cleared the computer(didn't work very long), ordered sensors and put them on. Now my light hasn't come on again, but the air temperature has been above 20F. Seems like the light would come on only when the temps went below 20F. Guess I'll have to wait until next winter to see if my Jeep's check engine light is fixed.

Tom T

Reply to
Tom T