RedLine MT-90 oil for manual transmission?

Ok ... I just found out some bad news, and I wanted some good advice.

I've got a '91 XJ, with an AX-15 manual tranny. It has brass synchro rings. The owner's manual calls for GL-5 gear oil.

I just read that was a mistake ... they ran that info for about 2 years, then changed it to GL-3 oil.

Turns out, the sulfur and sulfite additives in the GL-5 grade oil eat up the brass synchros.

Anybody else heard that?

What about redline MT-90? is that good? Will it do any damage? Thanks in advance ... any info would be appreciated ... even if it's not directly related ... :-)

Reply to
Robert Dyke

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hi Bill:

Pennzoil synchromesh is not a GL-5, nor is the Daimler/chrysler oil. GL-5 is great for differentials, as you said, because they have no soft yellow metals. GL-3 fluids are better for manual trannies with brass synchros, because it has so much less sulfur & sulfite additives in it.

Call your dealership service desk, they will verify it. Normal GL-5 dino oil is quite harmful to the AX 5/15 trannies.

A light duty lube such as GL-3 would be a good choice for a mall poser,> as you.

Reply to
Robert Dyke

Mercedes Benz is the best engineering company in the automotive business, but their recommendation is for their transmission, which might not have the same type of synchros.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III