Re: Transmission oil chg, Taco 2002 manual tran

Tran oil and filter? 5spd don't have filters and auto uses trans fluid (not an oil) and not sure how you'd grind it? Believe auto has just a screen - and I wouldn't bother with it. It doesn't hurt to change in either trans. If auto a drain is fine --- and cheap if you do it yourself - don't waste $ on flush. If 5spd not terribly hard to do --- use synthetic fluids though. If you are having dealer do I'd just wait til service manual calls for it - probably 30k.

Reply to
Wolfgang

ATF certainly is an oil, a top quality hydraulic oil with a specific additive package for transmissions and the red dye for identification.

For the manual transmission, what is the gear oil spec in your owner's manual? GL-4 or GL-5 75W-90 or 80W-90? I think the best are Schaeffer #267 80W-90 or Redline (costs more), and Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil. I think you'll need three quarts. Drive to get the oil warm so it drains better.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton