Transmission fluid for TJ?

I have a 5 speed, 98 and am taking it into a mechanic tomorrow. I need to know what I can pick up at the Auto Zone.

Also the manual says to drain/refill transfer case. Something I have not done. What will work for that?

Reply to
69strat

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

TJ = post 97 Wrangler. YJ is the earlier one with the square lights.

How 'bout the fluids?

Reply to
69strat

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It's almost assured you will not find the right gear lube for the AX-5 (if you have the 2.5L four-banger) or the AX-15 if you have the 4.0L engine. Avoid any gear lube that says GL-5, as those you find will assuredly be (99.999%) chance.

The correct gear lube is either a GL-3 or GL-4 75W-90 gear lube. Redline MT-90 is one that works very well. Since MT-90 is not commonly found in the autoparts stores, you're actually better off getting the right Mopar stuff at the dealer... even though it will be more expensive.

The GL-5 stuff I cautioned to avoid is harsh on the synchros inside the AX-5 and AX-15 transmissions used in the early TJs.

Jerry

69strat wrote:
Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I have a 2000 TJ so the gear oil I use isn't what you would use, I think it's GL3 75w90 for you.

Transfer case uses standard ATF.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
3550 started in model year 2000, if the OP has a stock tranny he has an AX-15.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Nope, the '98 the OP asked about has either an AX-5 or AX-15 transmission. It was in 2000 that the NV3550 was introduced.

Jerry

philthy wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Now Now Bill the NV3550 is a good tranny it is the same one in my 98 RAM 4x4 w/318 with 150k on it and it has never let me down. The only thing I do not like about it in my 04TJ is the marbles but other than that it is a good solid tranny. Also, reguardless of what the maintenance manual says, I change my tranny fluid every 30 k nothing is forever or the life of the tranny.

Reply to
Coasty

?? What are you blathering about Bill? My transmission is still stock...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Though he's right that the 3550 uses a lighter oil. You could get reamed at the dealer or get Pennzoil Syncromesh Manual Transmission Fluid.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Real Jeeps don't have any 'stock' parts.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I do not know about the other trucklets mine came with a NV3550 and it also has the same transfer case as my TJ. The only thing different is the vacuum operated axle locker on the Ram.

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
philthy