Removing oil filter mount so I can replace the O-Rings.

How in the blazes do I remove this mount on a 94 Cherokee XJ? I've got the T60 torx socket, but I've got nothing like adequate clearance to get the torx in there to get the damn mount thing removed. Do I have to pull the passenger front tire and the wheel well shielding to get access? Any suggestions from someone who's done this before on a Cherokee? TIA.

S.

Reply to
fraserwag

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Some folks have had to either use a shortened socket or put a wrench on the socket.

This link may help.

DougW

I managed to get one off by jacking the engine just a bit to give me a little more clearance from the frame but I still had to rig a tool. I have a torx set that has hex shanks fitted to a socket. I pulled the bit out of the socket and hung a box end wrench on it (then added a cheater - that sucker was TIGHT!)

Reply to
Will Honea

You're right about them being tight. I did mine on an engine stand and damn near flipped the whole thing on it's side trying to break it loose.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Well, I did say I used a cheater - like a 2 foot pipe and a wedge behind the bit to keep it from popping out while I pulled. Even the old "bash it with a hammer first" didn't help.

Reply to
Will Honea

So it replaced now?? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Oh, yeah. FYI, that bolt is hollow and has a small o-ring that goes on it - that one is likely part of the problem and every one I've pulled had that particular o-ring hard as a rock. I had to use a wire wheel to get it all out of one.

Reply to
Will Honea