anyone read this?? true? untrue?

Pi-eyed Piper

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I can buy acetone at retail US paint stores for about $5 a gallon. That puts the wholesale cost at $2.50-$3 a gallon for the store. I wonder what 50,000 gallons in bulk would cost?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Pi-eyed Piper did pass the time by typing:

I would be very skeptical. Remember Acetone is a solvent and many rubber/poly parts in the fuel system are only designed to resist gasoline and known additives. Some additives can dissolve the seals. This is especially true for carbureted vehicles. A few bucks saved on a fillup might cost you a thousand in repairs.

Acetone will decrease the octane rating and can lead to detonation in high compression engines. It's also more volatile than gasoline and will evaporate, get sucked into the canister system and be burned off.

That and any of it gets on your plastic body parts or paint and it's buh buy paint. Acetone is also known as paint solvent and is great for removing road tar from chrome bumpers and knocking down oils before painting bare metal.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have used this chemical Acetone Lab grade in air sample analysis, using a microscope. Sample prep using this chemical, it burns quite slow and very clean. You can put it on a flat surface light it on fire and after burning out no residue is left, so it might be true.

-Brian

o_o_o_o /| ,[_____], |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O- ()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

In all seriousness, HUH?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

What does that, or the price of my home, have to do with experimenters adding acetone to gasoline?

Are you the Riddler?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Dad's a retired chemical engineer, I fwd'd the link to him, and will post his comments.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Acetone, is refined of course by the petroleum industry, One of them a Shell plant in Deer Park, Texas, that I've been inside many times.

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. Reread your post, it makes no sense. Looks like some idiots must have graduated from our schools in the past as well.

Reply to
mcalister

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My finely tuned BS meter pegged on this one, what a load!

There are so many area that just make me laugh, like "sluggish with respect to their natural frequency." What are we talking about here, laxatives? Or water reaching 300 degrees before boiling. What does that have to do with vaporizing fuel in a modern engine?

OK but let's pick one thing and pick it , like a 15 to 35% increase in fuel economy. The author suggests that the unburned fuel goes out the tail pipe or past the rings into the oil. Assuming that a vehicle is running efficiently, according to this author 15% of every gallon is wasted, or about 19 ounces/gallon, well over a pint. Using the same calculations for a 35% increase it turns out to be about 45 ounces/gallon, well over a quart.

What do you guys think, you dumping from one pint to one quart of raw fuel into the oil and out the tail pipe for every gallon of gas you burn? Think about it, you'd smell raw gas every time you drove your Jeep.

But it is on the internet so it must be true. ;-)

Dean

Reply to
Dean