REPLACEMENT OF FACTORY HINGES

Hello all. I have a 2006 Wrangler X that I just replaced the factory windshield, hood, and upper/lower door hinges with stainless steel hinges. There is now one problem that I can't seem to figure out how to fix. There is some play in the hinges between where the nut screws on the bottom of the pin and where the pin is soldered to the hinge. Unfortunately, those nuts only screw on so far. In other words, I can grab ahold of the bottom of both doors and lift them up about 1/8 of an inch or a just a tad more. I think this is what is causing the rattling noise that I am hearing everytime I hit a bump such as railroad tracks, potholes, manhole covers, etc. I do not hear this rattling noise everytime, only when the above happens or when I hit a certain bump just right. The rattling sounds like it is coming from the front middle of the truck, but I never heard this noise before until replacing the hinges. Also, I just had my clutch replaced (faulty factory clutch) at the same time that I had my hinges replaced. Could the rattling noise be coming from something relating to the clutch installation (i.e. not tightening something or putting it in properly) or do you think it is from the hinges? Any help and DEFINITELY some suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reply to
Tracie

The old Jeeps didn't have safety nuts and most folks I know toss them the first time they take off the doors.

I would look to the repairs for the noise.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hello all. I have a 2006 Wrangler X that I just replaced the factory
Reply to
Mike Romain

I agree with Mike. Toss the nuts into your toolbox or the trash. Your doors will not rattle when closed unless you have other problems. CJs did not come with nuts on these pins and I don't remember them on my YJ either. In any case, this is not the source of your noise.

tw

Mike Roma> The old Jeeps didn't have safety nuts and most folks I know toss them

Reply to
twaldron

Thanks for the advice. I am going to call the dealership that did the repairs and have them look at it to make sure everything is the way it should be. AND I did figure out that it is NOT the hinges. I took BOTH doors off after I posted my original questions and drove around over some bumps and still heard the noise. One other question though.....could it possibly be the windshield hinges? They had to be tweaked a little to fit, and I am just wondering if the windshield frame itself could be off. If so, is there a way to tell? THANKS AGAIN.

Reply to
Tracie

Never, EVER "tweak" new parts to fit a damaged vehicle. Always repair/replace ALL of the damaged parts, unless you are trying to 'cheap out' for some reason and want to pass off the shoddy workmanship to the next lucky owner. If you paid a dealer to fix this for you and they performed this poor quality of repairs on their own, have them tear it down and replace ALL of the damaged parts and restore it with NEW, UNTWEAKED parts.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Good point, but this poster had aftermarket stainless parts installed on an otherwise perfectly good vehicle, for "rust prevention". It is not unusual to see aftermarket windshield hinges with a bend that is not exactly right.

Another possible reason to install stainless hinges is to increase the "bling" of the vehicle.

Hmm, except for the "faulty factory clutch" complaint there is no indication of why it is now rattling. I wonder if they forgot to install or tighten a transfer case mount or something.

The safety nuts on the door hinges shouldn't be an issue. If the doors close properly they won't be a source of rattles. My YJ came with them stock.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Got it. I guess I should have more carefully. It sounded like it was a repair. I still would not tweak a new part to fit if I could obtain one that was manufactured correctly. However, if the hinge was just flattened or something to fit snugly and the mechanical portion of the hinge was not tweaked, it should be OK. It is not that big of a deal to lower and raise the windshield to look for a squeak or rattle. Is there a hard top on it?

tw

Earle Hort> Good point, but this poster had aftermarket stainless parts installed on an

Reply to
twaldron

We normally reply at the top around here but whatever, you can measure from the top of the corners of the windshield to the back tub corners to see if you have it on even and corner to corner for square.

That info came with the soft top manual on my CJ7 because the rake needs to be adjusted on them for hard and soft top fits, I don't have the measurement for a TJ, sorry. I would just make sure they are even.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

That big foam rubber cowl seal should soak up any windshield vibration. It is possible though, that whoever installed the windshield hinge messed up the job somehow, and the corner by the hinge is rattling.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Nuts, rattles, or both?

Reply to
Will Honea

There's one from the front that I am hoping is the hood prop rod or something equally innocuous. Certain speed, certain frequency of bumpy road, and I hear it. Yeah, it came with both, compared to a car with body insulation, etc. But like I said though, if the door is loose enough to move up and down on the hinges, Tracie has other problems.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

For twaldron: No, not a hardtop -- its a soft top.

Earle: The doors do move up and down on the hinges, but as I mentioned, I did take the doors off and still heard the noise over the bumps. I wish I could find it. It drives me nuts.

Reply to
Tracie

My YJ has a place for nuts on the hinge pins, but no nuts.

My wife's YJ had the nuts still in place when we bought it. That lasted until the first sunny day when the doors went into the garage.

Imagin having a soft top Jeep for 8 years and never pulling the doors off! Then again, the underside of her Jeep looked like it had never left the pavement.

We cured that little problem, too.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow