Replacement of Light Switch on 1980 CJ-5 ?

I have a 1980 CJ-5 (in great shape) at a vacation spot in the mountains. On the very last day of our recent Holiday trip, the headlight switch got extremely hot, and started smoking. I stopped the car, turned off the lights, and let it sit for a while. Smoke was literally coming from underneath the dash, and I am positive it was the switch, as it was so hot (even on the dash side) that I could hardly touch the facing around the external knob without burning my finger. I let everything cool off for a few minutes, then continued on for the last two miles of my journey off the mountain. The switch again reheated, but i was able to place the vehicle in the garage where I store it. I think that I am lucky that this thing did not start a fire. I made sure everything was cooled off before I left it.

I plan to order the switch, but I just have one question......... is this switch very hard to get to, to replace it ? I am minimal to average mechanically skilled, but as an older person, it is hard for me to get to things under the dash. I assume that I should also disconnect one of the battery cables before I attempt to replace this switch, correct ?

Again, is this considered a difficult item to access, solely to replace the switch ? Is a special tool needed to loosen the front locking nut on the face of the switch knob ???

Thanks for any comments.

James

Reply to
James

Shouldn't be too bad - there should be a button on the switch which you can press to release the knob and shaft, then remove the nut from the barrel on the front. You can now push the switch into the dash and it will drop free - except for the wires and connectors.

Problem is, if it got that hot then the connectors are likely to be melted - shot. Even if they aren't melted, they've been on so long they will be a SOB to unplug!

It takes a bit of manipulation to reach up behind the dash to get hold of the thing but a mirror and strong light helps a lot. I have the same issues you do - somehow the old joints aren't as limber as they were 50-60 years ago.....

Reply to
Will Honea
[snip CJ smoking light switch]

Dropping the battey cable would be a good idea. Ordinarily the multiconector plug that attaches to the switch is well insulated and shouldn't be a spark risk, but yours got hot and you don't know what condition it is in.

There is a special tool to remove the front locking nut, but I've always done it with a small flat blade screwdrver. The nut and the bezel are separate, by the way, so trying to turn the bezel won't help. Save the hardware, the replacement won't come with any.

And a tip: the switch is a standard off-the-shelf GM item, so it shouldn't be hard to get. But I have run into variations in the switches that wouldn't engage the stem and knob assembly, so I would pull the switch _then_ go lean on the parts counter with it in your hand, make sure that your stem fits the new switch. There will be a release button on the switch, it will feel like a small rivet with a short spring behind it. Press it in and the stem should pull right out. I forget, you might have to turn the switch to "Dome" to get it out.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Another thought: If you can't find the release button by fumbling around behind the dash with your fingers on yours, go to the auto parts store and ask to see a new one to you know where to fumble for it. Take a picture of the new one or draw a sketch for reference.

And if your connector is burnt toast, try to order a replacement to splice in instead of trying to fake it with crimp-on connectors. It seems like they should be available since the aftermarket harness makers put them on their wares. Lacking that, a hacked-out connector from pretty much any GM product in the boneyard with a push-pull headlight switch should fit.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton