Transit heater switch.

I have a 1996 Transit (smiley front) with, I believe, a faulty heater switch. Just how much dismantling is needed to replace this? I know that the black instrument panel surround must be removed, but is it necessary to remove or disturb the entire (grey) dash? How is the switch-knob (and two similar knobs alongside) removed? Does it (do they) just pull off? They don't pull off _easily_, and I'm anxious to avoid damage. I'm hoping to replace the bulb in the clock at the same time as the heater switch. Is it _really_ necessary to do so much work simply to replace this bulb?

Modern vehicles - I despair! TIA of any reply. DB.

Reply to
DB.

Does it only work on high?

Reply to
George Spigot

No, it doesn't blow in any of the six (recirculation is available) positions. When switched to one of the recirc. positions the (tiny) motor (near the passenger's R. foot) that operates the recirculatory flap can be heard to run, but that is intermittent as the switch is touched. That's what makes me believe the fault lies with the switch. It might be the blower motor, of course. Any comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
DB.

If you follow the wiring from behind the switch, check any connectors along the wiring loom, up until the point it enters the main wiring loom. There may be between one and three connectors depending on fitted equipment. Check that the connectors can be seperated, and that none off the connections have melted. If the connector can't be seperated, then it is likely it's had a bad connection and has melted together. You can either bypass just the affected wires, or cut off the connector and join all the wires directly.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill