RIM SIZE FOR 2006 WRANGLER (con't)

This is just an update from the previous post that I had going a couple of weeks ago. I got my new BFG Muds installed on 8/31/07 and they look AWESOME! The spare tire did fit under the third brake light, but there is only about 1/8 inch of room to spare. You will definitely not get a bigger tire under there unless you do some modifications. I also had to shave off the rounded part of the rubber tire stop that is mounted under the tail gate because the gate would not shut properly due to the bigger tire hitting it prior to the gate closing properly. Five minutes with a Ginsu knife and all is good now! LOL

I was concerned about the additional size and weight of the new tire compared to my stock tire, but I spoke to the service dept. from the dealership I purchased the Wrangler at and this is what they told me:

My stock tires were the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S (215/75/15) and weigh

25 pounds each. The Rubicon's tires are just a hair smaller than my BFG Muds (30.5/9.5/16), and they are mounted on the tail gate without any known problems. I was informed that the tail gates on the newer TJ's have been reinforced to hold the weight of the larger Rubicon tires. I have discovered that the STOCK Rubicon tires are the Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs and they are 30.5/9.5/16 and weigh 49 pounds each. My BFG Muds are 31/10.5/15 and weigh 43 pounds each. So in all reality, the stock Rubicon's tires weigh 6 pounds MORE than my BFG Muds. In the future, I will probably get a rear bumper/oversize tire carrier combo to carry the 31 inch tire. I doubt I will have any problems with the tire mounted like it is because I don't do any off- roading to speak of that would bounce the hell out of the spare tire. I just don't feel comfortable leaving the tire mounted there indefinitely.
Reply to
Tracie

Glad to hear. Could you send a link with some pictures?

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '96 XJ, '06 TJ.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Reply to
FrankW

Bill --

I will try to get some pics later this evening. I am not very good at setting up links to my pics, so if I can't I may need your e-mail addy to send them to you. I will attempt it though.

Frank --

Thanks for that insight. I didn't think about that. I haven't had that situation happen yet, but I will remember that should I ever be parked at that angle.

Reply to
Tracie

Stock wheels are very small, and they also don't look like a nice fit to the TJ. After fitting the larger wheels the look is greatly improved and you may not want the lift anymore, unless you experience rubbing problems. Since you don't have intention to do much off-roading, you may not need it at all.

The email on my post headers is valid. It would be better though to setup a link for everybody to be able to take a look.

Bill Spiliot>> The only rhing you'll have to watch for, is when

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

There are several free sites that you can upload pictures to.

is one I use, and there are many others. Flickr is very easy to use.

Chris

one I use, and there are many others. Flickr is very

OK.....I think I got it right. I have uploaded some pics of my jeep on the flickr.com website. Here is the address to view them:

Tracie

one I use, and there are many others. Flickr is very

Looks good!

Chris

to.www.flickr.comisone I use, and there are many others. Flickr is very

Thanks! I am considering taking off the black hoop in the front and buying the chrome plated grille inserts....just can't decide if that would be too much bling or not. Any opinion on that?

Reply to
Tracie
[snip]

So, uh, what's that puddle under the passenger side lower control arm? ("Full side view of my baby")

Hope it's not important ;-)

Looks good! When's the winch, 6" lift and lockers coming?

noneofyourbusiness

to.www.flickr.comisone I use, and there are many others. Flickr is very

I personally don't like the chrome grille inserts on Jeeps. I think they make them look too cheap. My personal opinion would to save up for your lift if you still want it. I think the accents you have done look good, but too much would make it look like something from that show "Pimp My Ride" on MTV. You could think about having the bumpers painted or powdercoated a titanium color which would match your rims and stainless goodies, but I think that would even be too much, at least for me. Remember, it is your ride, so do what you think you would like. I'm just giving you my $.02 worth.

Chris

Bling = bad. If you are planning on going in the dirt, you won't notice the bling anyway.

Tires look good, after looking at it I must say I think a 1" spacer lift would probably keep the wheelwells from looking overstuffed, although you should be alright to drive now.

Love the color, too, I wonder why...

Matt Macchiarolo

Thanks for the responses. I really think the chrome grille inserts would look too "blingy" (I just needed to hear that from someone else). Bling is definitely the look that I DON'T want! LOL And I honestly don't like the titanium look either. I thought about getting the front and rear double tube bumpers (not in stainless though....in powder coated black).

The puddle under the passenger side lower control arm is what I think is condensation from running the vents in the defrost/floor mode on cool air. I have stuck my finger in the puddle in the past and it comes up clear. This happens every time I run the vents this way. Uh- oh....is that not supposed to happen? It doesn't do this on the driver's side, but from my understanding, the cooling system is on the passenger side. I have opened the hood and have noticed some minor condensation on the metal tubes near the firewall (?) on the passenger side. Normal or not?

I am considering a spacer lift for now....but thought about getting a

2" inch spacer lift with longer shocks and front/rear extended bump stops. Although a 1" spacer lift wouldn't look bad either. As it is right now, I have to stand on my toes just to get my butt up on the seat when getting in (I am 5 feet 7 inches tall). And that's without a lift at all! I can drive it OK for right now. Knock on wood, I have not had any rubbing yet either. I did buy a handy dandy SS pack of washers just in case though. LOL
Reply to
Tracie

I think you're making a good choice not to bling it up. The monochrome type look is what I like best, maybe with the exception of nice wheels. You really cant go wrong with black bumpers on a Jeep though. I think a

1 or 2" lift would add more to the look than anything. The wheel wells look a little crowded like Matt said. You don't want too much lift for the tires either. That looks equally bad. You're well on your way to a very nice rig. I'm jealous. :P

Chris

Thanks. I will keep more pictures coming in as I do the modifications in the very near future. I agree the wheel wells do look a little stuffed, but I just wanted to get the bigger tires on for instant gratification for the time being. LOL It's a slow project, but it's coming around. I am beginning to understand now why they are called "JEEPS"

Just Empty Every Pocket

Reply to
Tracie

Hi Tracie,

The Jeep looks great!

The puddle under the passenger side is indeed from the AC condensation, and is normal. The drain of the heating/cooling system is there. The condensation on the AC tubes in the engine compartment is also normal.

If you want to take things slow, you could only add a 3/4 spacer in the front and bar pin eliminators in the front. This would make the front wheels look much more at home, and would not require any more tinkering and adjustments. Not difficult to do, and probably the shop you buy the stuff can install it for free in an hour.

With the 2" spacer lift front and back it would look awesome.

Thanks for the pics.

Bill Spiliot>>

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Normal. When the HVAC is set to Defrost, the A/C system is engaged to help dry off the windshield. The condensate drain is on the passenger side firewall.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I am definitely going to have a spacer lift of some kind installed. I originally thought I wanted a 4.5" suspension lift, but I really don't think I will need it now that I have seen how my jeep looks with just the increase in height from the larger tires. I think the most I want to go would be a 2" or 2.5" spacer lift with longer shocks/longer bump stops. Not only that, but I really don't want the expense of having to do everything properly (i.e. new CV driveshaft and SYE) or the potential headaches from installing a lift that high. AND I would have to re-gear the jeep on top of everything else to be able to run anything larger than the 31/10.5s I have on there now because I only have the 3.07s. My wallet has nightmares just thinking about that expense! LOL

On the upside, I really haven't noticed that much difference at all in power loss or gas mileage with the larger tires. I have the 4.0L I-6 and when going up a decent sized hill, she stays at almost the same speed (loses 2-3 mph) from the bottom of the hill all the way to the top without hardly any loss of power. I have a 6 speed manual tranny, and as previous posters have stated in the other thread, I don't use my OD (6th gear) on the highway. Other than that, it's great.

If anyone has any pictures of their jeeps, I would love to see them. I really enjoy being a part of this group, and it's nice to just help each other out and give ideas/advice when needed without all the BS that goes on in some of the other threads. I have thought about putting SS hood latches on to replace the originals. I think that will be the last of SS I do. I can't see replacing the footman loop with SS as it won't look right (in my opinion). I also have the front headlight and turn signal/side marker euro guards on order from the gent that I ordered the rear ones from. Those are all black chrome. I wanted the "shiny" look, but didn't want the bright "mirror finish" look, so black chrome was right in the middle. From a distance, they almost look like SS, but when up close, you can see the black hue to them. I am also looking at putting the black plastic door sill guards on the jeep too (just not the kind that you can see from outside the jeep with the door closed).

Reply to
Tracie