Tire size for lifted 2002 Jeep Wrangler

I purchased a 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L for my son that has a 4" lift kit professionally installed. The Jeep came with 35x12.5x15 BF Goodrich ATs. It has a Dana 35 rear with a Detroit locker. The left rear axle was just replaced as the axle broke. Last year the right rear axle broke for the original owner.

Research on the net has shown that these tires seem too large for the Dana 35. As I have just replaced the rear axle, I am looking for advice as to a new tire size. I am considering either 32in or 33in. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Wilson Holmes
33s would be fine, but more importantly, do you know what the gearing is?

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > I purchased a 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L for my son that has a 4" lift kit

Reply to
twaldron

I like 33's for all around good manners on road and off. As most here know, I like tall skinny tires for the increase in traction they give. BFG make a 33x10.5" tire that friends of mine have on their TJ's and they can usually keep up to me with my 33x9.5's on my CJ7. Unfortunately BFG doesn't make the 9.5" any more.

With a locker in a D35, they might be too much for it though. The tall skinny tires just don't spin so it stresses the crap out of things like engine mounts and u-joints. I can even wind up my t-case on dirt so I have to spin the tires in reverse to release it. You might want to go with a wider tire that will spin and lose traction easier.

Or for the amount of money you spend on axles, maybe upgrade the rear end?

Mike

Mike Romain

The 35C rear is not up to the load that a 4.0L and a locker can put on it. Unless you like replacing axles, take out the Detroit and put in an open differential or a Trak-Loc, which is the factory optional limited slip. Do you actually need the locker? This is related to the question, "Why the big tires?" If they are on there for looks, it would be a mistake to replace them with 32s or 33s.

If axles have been broken, there is a good chance that the 35C has taken abuse, that is going to show up later. It might be a time to consider an axle upgrade, such as one of these

I can'tsay. I don't know your budget or the intended use for the vehicle. "Professionally installed" doesn't mean anything. I could argue that "professionals" would not have put this lift on, knowing that the customer would more than likely install big tires, and blow the axles.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes. It is 4.56

Reply to
Wilson Holmes

The Jeep was originally updated for show so I am sure the big tires are for looks. My son and I are using it mainly for transportation and off-road fun. He is the primary driver, for college, hunting, off road. I am convinced the big tires are not needed for this use and are a current liability.

Please elaborate on your concerns about the Detroit Locker and what alternatives to consider. Money is always a concern, but having just spent $1,000 for the new rear and repairing the Locker, I do not want to this very often.

Reply to
Wilson Holmes

The locker is breaking your axles, and if you let it, it will grenade the housing. One approach is to replace the entire axle assembly with one of these or something similar.

Another approach is to replace the locker with an open differential or a Trak-Loc limited slip. Then you should be able to keep the big tires. This will cost you the price of the differential, plus set up. Since the pinion depth is already set up, the labor should cost less than replacing a ring and pinion. Note the use of "should" in this paragraph. For your application and driving habits, you may actually need a D44.

If you go with smaller tires, they may not be small enough to save the axle, and you may find that the 4" lift is too much. People will say that they don't care about looks, but they rarely mean this. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton