Roof Rack!

I'm just tickled pimk! It took me a couple days, off and on, to install the rack and it looks great! My window hinge bolts came out with little trouble, only needed the impact wrench on one bolt, and the tail lights are a cinch to remove. I'm really pleased I managed to get the whole thing up there, by myself, with out messing anything up!

Oh, and they don't sell just the doohicky off the rear window retaining bar:^( Guess I'll check out junk yards, yay! (I had a Pinto...I luv junk yards...

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

Just be aware that the tail lights ground through their bolts and sometimes putting a spacer under them leaves a rusty part of the bolt on the body metal which can cause strange things to happen when you hit the brakes or signals with the headlights on....

Mike

Mike Romain

Akkk! And there I was all proud of myself! Is there something I should do to neutralize this? Seems like the lights are now grounded on the tub and the rack!

Seahag

"Mike Roma> Just be aware that the tail lights ground through their

Reply to
Seahag

I live in the salt belt so I like antiseize and loctite. Both products keep corrosion away really well.

If they are now working ok, then likely your Jeep was new enough not to have immediate issues. If you get strange lights down the road sometime, just think of those bolts first... ;-)

Mike

Seahag wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
RoyJ

Ah, Neverseize and Eversieze! I live on a boat so salt protection is second nature. I ran a bead of silicone _around_ the 3 bolt triangle to slow down water penetration. Made things really interesting to hold while I got a bolt in, next time I'm having an awl handy!

Seahag

"Mike Roma>I live in the salt belt so I like antiseize and loctite.

Reply to
Seahag

I'll save this post for the future, and knock on wood for the present! Thanks.

Seahag

"RoyJ" wrote:

Reply to
Seahag

Aww geese.... Then you really' don't want to know what I am going to say next....

Silicone out gasses a gas that turns into acid in contact with water/humidity. This acid will eat the body metal totally away. The number of windshield frames I have seen totally rotted through from that is amazing. Normally one would use a butyl sealant for body metal or stuff they call 'seam sealer'.

Mike

Seahag wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Crikey, I knew I'd have to take something apart. Well, at least it's a long weekend!

Seahag

"Mike Roma> Aww geese.... Then you really' don't want to know what I

Reply to
Seahag

I feel better now:

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

I could take a photo of a CJ7 oil pan with a silicone glued on skid plate and the rust holes through it.....

You aren't the only one who thought it was a good idea....

Stock, they use 2 sided tape for the skid plate.

Mike

Seahag wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wasn't me...the manufacturer included it with the kit and directions. I just put it extra on the tail lights. We've avoided silicone like the plague on boats. While I trust your opinion on things Jeep and camping (love the trailer and duck) I like second opinions too. It's a Geezette thang:^)

Seahag

"Mike Roma>I could take a photo of a CJ7 oil pan with a silicone glued

Reply to
Seahag

Hmm, good thing for me I live in a dry place. That acid is acetic acid, same as vinegar. It seems as if they tell you to put silicone on everything nowadays.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

We had quite the thread going about the effects of silicone on metal a while back here. One gent on the group actually did testing on the outgassing and it's effects on circuit boards I think it was.

Mike

Seahag wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

What about the urethane adhesive/sealants?

Reply to
billy ray