San Juan Mountains Weather Report

Although the summer started off dry enough, it's been raining every day up here for about six weeks. Last night, it rained heavily all night and there was a hail storm at nine AM. The sun is out now, but there is a creek running down the street in front of my house, and the ground is like a wet sponge. I got up about 2 AM to have a look around, and every time lightning struck, you could see the mountains and the whole valley. Although the ground dries out quickly enough, and the rock content is pretty high, this is not the sort of day I would choose to go Jeeping for fun.

We had a hiker slip and fall to his death a month or so ago, leaving a wife and small child at home. How is one supposed to feel about this sort of thing? I am sorry for the kid, growing up without a father now, but it was not my responsibility, to make sure that he would have one. One of the locals, an accomplished hiker who "knows all the trails", hasn't been seen since Monday. There is a car parked in front of my house since three days ago. The owner was "going Jeeping with his friend". Who knows where they are now? My wife convinced him to at least leave a note on the dashboard with a phone number to call.

Things should dry out after Labor Day. That is the pattern anyway. Check the weather before you come. Give the Search and Rescue guys a break, by leaving good contact and itinerary information.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

mmbgfarm