Service: Jeep dealer vs. local mechanic

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo, I am getting code P0301 with the check engine light. That means misfire in cylinder #1. So the question is...should I take it to my Jeep dealer or the local mechanic. I am always leary of the dealer (high prices) and afraid the local guy will screw it up... I am leaning to the dealer....just curious what most of you Jeep owners do.

Reply to
Firebird

Have you checked the thing out yourself? It may be just a fouled plug or maybe a bad wire or connection....

Pull it apart and have a look yourself if you find something fix it then reset the computin machine. If after that you still get the CEL THEN if you have to - go to a shop.

I say call both of them, get their shop rates and ask for an estimate. Ask if they have an idea what might be wrong.

Personally, I almost always go to a dealership. Maybe not the most financially prudent but I know that they will stand a better chance of knowing what to look for because they do Jeeps all day long. I find that shops in general will give you problems in one way or another, what one doesn't forget the other screws up or over charges for.

Best of luck.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Hi

Reply to
Firebird

Disconnect the battery for a minute or so.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton