Re: Question from a VERY rookie new Jeep owner

yours is a TJ, and I have enjoyed Quadratec for variety, and Bob Suplee for big ticket and specific things.

But I find my self more and more looking in any number of places, and ordering form bob. some one will post his number

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Bob Supplee snipped-for-privacy@ionet.net

405-799-8977 Supplee 4WD Enterprises 3615 E I 240 Service Rd. Moore, Oklahoma 73135

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

As far as San Antonio, you'll have to look that up in your local phone book. I've had very good experiences with Quadratec -

-I've had not quite so good experiences with Rosser Jeep -
-. Everything I ordered from Rosser took quite awhile to get. I eventually got it, but nowhere as soon as I got parts fromQuadratec. On the flip side, they carry stuff Quadratec doesn't, like thefull line of Kentrol stainless parts (which I highly recommend if you wantstainless).

One brand to completely avoid is Steel Horse, whose products I've also seen sold under the name Genuine Steel and Rock Crusher. They are complete crap. Everyone here will testify to that...

Reply to
Big Daddy

There used to be a place on 281 north of 410 (on the left if you're northbound) that sold nothing but built Jeeps. I don't know if it moved (and I can't remember the name), but if you can find it, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Most people are right, though, you're going to save a bundle ordering online. Of course, if you can build a relationship with a shop (i.e. you won't be moving any time soon), I might pay a bit more. They'll be able to help you out in a bind (and be right there, no waiting for the mail) whereas an online source won't. There's a 4-Wheel Parts located on Broadway, just outside of 410 (across from The Atrium, if you know where that is). That would be a good start.

Reply to
Eric

Thanks for all the help! It has black diamond plate on the sides and I'm going to try to find a bumper/winch combo that matches it. Maybe some side slider/nerf bars. One of the major reasons I picked this rig is that it has aftermarket parts out the wazoo! I LOVE IT! (Just hope the wife doesn't get TOO pissed) But she can only get so mad. lol

Reply to
Mad Medic

I've had great luck with 4WD Hardware.

Every time i tried Quadratec they were unsure of what they were selling. I asked about the AMC V8 timing cover, catalog says for 304 engines. The tech told me it wouldn't fit any other V8's, just a 304. My g/f asked about an adjustable rear track bar for her TJ, the tech told her they don't sell any. I found at least two in their catalog. 4WD is about the same price, or they will price match similar items from Quadratec.

Just my opinions.... Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish

Congrats on the new rig...i am sure you will enjoy it...get a good book...Moses Ludel etc...will help with terminology, and read this NG, awesome resource and for the most part a great bunch of jeep owners...i have learned a ton over the past 8 years reading this NG...also look at

its a good read as well.

TJ=Wrangler 1997-current XJ=Cherokee (old style cherokee 1984-sadly 2001 (i think) replaced by liberty) CJ=Civilian Jeep (round headlights-'86 and before) YJ=Wrangler 1987-1995 (Square headlights) ZJ=Grand Cherokee WJ=??? Liberty i think? (i am sure i will be corrected if i am wrong)

Reply to
MJ w/ 2 TJ's

Reply to
James Gemmill

Before you spend more money on it, I would advise you to sign up for a Jeep Jamboree or other off road event. My biggest regret is buying the same "upgrade" twice because I didn't know any better the first time around. After you go on one of these you learn what works and what doesn't. For example, you might want nerf bars now because you've seen them on a Jeep or two on the highway (at least I did), but at a Jamboree you find out that they lower ground clearance and probably don't offer as much protection as the factor plate already on your rig. I don't know if every one here would agree, but I would keep your Jeep out of the mud unless you have to drive through mud to get to a good climb, desent, or boulder field. In my opinion, its not enough fun to justify the cleanup and wear. Mudding is best done with 44" tires in a 4x4 truck with alot more HP then your Jeep has.

Oh yeah... Do not buy cheesy performance parts (KN/Split Fire), don't buy steel horse/Genuine Steel, look for made in USA on any part your paying alot of money for, and don't pay for shipping at the 4wheel parts store when you have to pay sales tax too.... thats bullshit, its a store or a catalog. ok done with the rant now.....

Reply to
Barry R.