Shakin' 98' Wrangler

I have a 98' Wrangler-manual. He has been pretty good to me thus far. The only problem I have is when I go over 60 (and when I am aproaching

60) THe car begins to shake uncontrolably. It feels like a washing machine out of rotation and it seems to be coming from the front center

of the Jeep. I know that Jeeps are loud and not the smoothest ride but

this not just the typical ride of the car.

Normally this would not be a problem but the 4.5 hr drive home from college is sometimes unbareable. During the duration of this trip the shaking doesn't occur as much once it is "warmed up". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

Reply to
Rachel

I have a 98' Wrangler-manual. He has been pretty good to me thus far. The only problem I have is when I go over 60 (and when I am aproaching

60) THe car begins to shake uncontrolably. It feels like a washing machine out of rotation and it seems to be coming from the front center

of the Jeep. I know that Jeeps are loud and not the smoothest ride but

this not just the typical ride of the car.

Normally this would not be a problem but the 4.5 hr drive home from college is sometimes unbareable. During the duration of this trip the shaking doesn't occur as much once it is "warmed up". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

Reply to
Rachel

Have the tires balanced. It is cheap to have checked and/or redone, and is very likely the problem.

Reply to
Rusted

That is called the 'death wobble' and can literally shake you off the road or snap something so you lose control.

Having the tires rotated will fast tell you if it is a bad tire in the front, but I would be looking at the track bar bushings first.

That is the bar that goes from the driver's side frame down to the passenger side axle. If you look under and have someone turn the wheels, you can maybe see play in the bushing down at the axle. It is a bit harder to see when the drivers side is bad, but if you look close when someone turns the steering back and forth, you might see it.

If you sit in the drivers seat and get an eyeball on the ground in front and turn the steering wheel a half turn each way, only the wheels should turn. If you can see the nose of the Jeep move side to side compared to the ground in the background, then the track bar is the problem.

You also have a steering stabilizer shock that can go bad, but it only masks issues, it won't be the cause.

Mike

Mike Romain

They put the steering stabilizer on there for a reason. It can mask issues, for sure, but I have seen vehicles where it is the only thing causing a problem like this. If it is bad, it may be wet around where the shiny rod goes into the cylinder.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I guess I have my front end set up pretty good then... I recently figured out my 'stabilizer' is nothing but a hollow tube with a rod flopping around in it. I unhooked it to diagnose a steering jam I had and realized this. It has never leaked a drop in the 10 years I have owned it. LOL!

Her description sounds like a dead track bar though. If it was the stabilizer, she would feel it more in the steering I would think.

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mine (on the YJ) was leaking, but still worked fine. The reason they originally put them on, was that you could hit a bump "just right", and go into death wobble. You will want to replace yours with a new shiny white or red one, because they "look cool" in addition to whatever good they do.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Does that mean if I just spray paint mine it will work better?

What are the colors in rank of 'superiority'?

Reply to
billy ray

Best to Worst....

Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Lavinder Indego Violet

Steve Foley

I wonder if they sell to decals with that pattern in San Francisco, South Miami, and New York......

I would be concerned that would cause the Jeep to sway back and forth or sashay....

Reply to
billy ray

billy billy billy, how shockingly unPC can you be .

Jeff DeWitt (> I wonder if they sell to decals with that pattern in San Francisco, South

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

You forgot fucsia. ;-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

My dad has previously rotated the tires and replaced the stablizer-it was a shiny yellow one I know it's not at the top of the color chart but at least its not a violet one. So he's going to check out some of your other suggestions when I go home this weekend. Thanks for all of your help guys

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Rachel

And here I have been spray painting everything underneath the Jeep black...

Reply to
billy ray