Jeep Wrangler--back end slides out when turning

I have a 94 Jeep Wrangler. Recently, I've noticed that when I turn, it feels like my back end is sliding out--even when I'm cornering at slow speeds on dry roads.

At first I thought I was just imagining it, but recently, when the roads were wet--I spun out at two separate intersections in the middle of the turn as if I were driving on ice--(It was Texas in May!) I know the roads can be slick when it rains for the first time after a dry spell--but at the speed I was traveling it didn't make sense.

It's becoming more noticeable--even my passengers comment on it. And now I feel a it on the curves in the road--not just the turns.

My tires are fine, and I'm paying close attention to how/when I accelerate.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Reply to
tales

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

As Bill and Jerry already said, excess tire pressure is probably the problem. If the tires are inflated at too high a pressure, there is very little rubber contact with the road, and thus much less traction.

If you give us the size, brand and model tires are you running, folks on this newsgroup can tell you the approximate proper tire pressure. Whatever you do, do not inflate your tires to the pressure stamped on the side of the tire. That is the maximum pressure for that tire, which can be used on many vehicles, some much heavier than your Jeep.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I noticed a similar problem a while back in my truck (not a Jeep). While it never actually spun out it sure felt like it wanted to. What I finally found was that rear leaf springs had broken!

A new set of leaf springs and everything was fine.

I'd check the springs, bushings and shocks... after checking the tire pressure of course.

Jeff DeWitt

tales wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

How much have you inspected under there? Check your leaf springs, frame and spring eye Rubber bushings these are the rubber cylinders that isolate the spring hanger bolts, at both ends of the spring and on the frame connected to the shackle. Inspect for broken or cracked U-bolts, also if your shocks are dead enough the flat very soft YJ springs might allow the wheels to loose traction in turns that contain some roughness or bumps that would otherwise be tamed by properly functioning shocks.

Also the rear shackle mounts are notorious for rusting completely off of the frame. while you're under there Check the forward spring mount brackets for cracks, and look at the track bar which holds the axle in line under the vehicle.

While none of these is the "most likely suspect" more than any other they could all cause traction loss while cornering.

These are also very obvious things but you don't mention having looked at anything at all besides the tires.

Another obvious thing is to stop freakin driving it until to figure out the problem, if you kill someone while you're tying to analyze the problem in a damn Usenet news group... Well you'll deserve the manslaughter sentence.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Yes, as Simon pointed out, STOP DRIVING this thing until you get it fixed, very bad things can happen when you spin out!

Jeff DeWitt

tales wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Tires are 235 with 28 PSI all around. Thanks for the feedback...I'll be taking into the shop tomorrow.

Reply to
tales

You still haven't said if you have a locker in the rear end..... If you do, then you are just too hard on the gas for it. They call lockers 'low side finders'.

To test this, just jack up the rear end and spin one tire. If the tire on the other side spins the same way, you have a traction device in there like a locker. If the other tire spins the opposite way, you have a standard open diff.

Mike

Mike Romain

He said he's running 28 psi all around, whatever is wrong that's not it!

Jeff DeWitt

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Sorry for the rare top post, but:

Are your rear wheels locking up? Could be that you need some limited slip additive in your rear end. After rebuilding the rear end on my 91 XJ, the wheels would sometimes lock up on turns (after things got fully heated up). Back to the dealer that did the work, and they added a touch more additive and things have been fine ever since.

Regards,

DAve

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
DaveW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Do you have modified lower control arms? I had the exact same problem and it was that I had Teraflex lower control arms, and the threads had worn, so and torque on it created movement. I would check your lower control arms if they are loose or if the bushings are gone.

I hope this helps.

Nicholas

Reply to
snowboardripper

Not on a 94 Wrangler....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Real Jeeps, use Real leaf springs:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Real Jeeps don't need no steenkin' springs.

:^)

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net...

Seahag

Hi I'm in texas also, I own a 92 wrangler. I have not had such a problem but sure would be interested in what it turns out to be. With a 2" body and a 2" shackle lift I've had no such event yet. I'm just guessing but first thing I'd check is that goofy track bar and gromets. Found in the past with many jeeps that bushings and gromet wear makes for wierd events. I'm located in conroe, Also drive 77 cj with 327chevy lots of luck on youre wrangler, drop me a line, maybe we can get together for a good mudding. snipped-for-privacy@tsog.org

Reply to
Cave Man

Limited slip rear end without the proper additive?

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
RoyJ

Sounds like the diff is locking up. Low on gear oil?

Carl

Reply to
Carl