Shift Point Adjustment

I've been watching the group for awhile and haven't seem much comment on this, so it's time to ask.

I have a new Unlimited that I am enjoying owning very much. The only complaint I have it that the automatic transmission doesn't seem to kick out of overdrive in time to keep it from lugging up hill or to keep me from having to floor it to force the downshift. I could push the O/D off button, but if I wanted to touch the tranny, I'd have the

5 speed manual.

Is there a programming unit out there that will let me tweek the shift point, or does anyone have another suggestion? My Durango doesn't have this problem driving around the rolling hills here in the Blue Ridge so I feel like this is something that can be fixed.

Thanks!

Butch

-1990 Dodge Dakota

-2002 Dodge Durango

-2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Happiness is: Using fire roads on your commute.

Reply to
fygar

What happens if you let off the gas before coming to the hill and then stomping it quickly for a second? I know this doesn't fix the overall "automatic computer chip" problem ...but it may be a temporary solution. I used to do that with my parents A/T Corolla when I was about to hit an incline and it automatically downshifted.

Maybe that's why the tranny is starting to slip on it tho ;ppppp Oh well ...225,000km and only replaced $1000 in parts total ...damn those things are reliable (knock on wood). Now they just need a Japanese Toyota Corolla Diesel ...eh Bill? ;p

Reply to
griffin

There is no adjustment, push the button and move on.

What I do is let the gas pedal do the talking for the first downshift, if the transmission searches in vain for the best gear, then I press the button. It's not like you are busy doing something else ...

Reply to
CRWLR

I don't understand the point of lifting off of the gas, all you need do is mash the pedal and the trans will downshift. The slight lift before the mash does nothing that I am aware of.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

On the Corolla there are two auto transmissions available. One gives better gas mileage because it doesn't downshift easily while the other will downshift under normal "mashing". This is also true of alot of newer vehicles that will not downshift right away. By letting off the gas briefly and then mashing, it seems to override this control and downshift. No idea exactly why ...must be some setting in the computer ...but for the most part it works.

Reply to
griffin

Since the bid is 3 bills right now ... I'll probably just push the button. :) I don't mind that on the hilly back roads because I can set it and leave it, but it becomes an annoyance on the Interstate

Butch

-1990 Dodge Dakota

-2002 Dodge Durango

-2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Happiness is: Using fire roads on your commute.

Reply to
fygar

I'm experimenting with the pedal some ... I haven't found the touch that doesn't make it rev excessively. The $2 gas situation makes me sensitive to 5000 rpms.

Butch

-1990 Dodge Dakota

-2002 Dodge Durango

-2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Happiness is: Using fire roads on your commute.

Reply to
fygar

I wrestled with a similar problem with my '90 Cherokee 4.0. When I needed power the system wouldn't react until the downshift. Other makes unlock the torque converter as the first stage of increaing power and then only downshift if more power is needed. I could accomplish the torque converter release by tapping on the break peddal, however if I was using the cruse, then I had to engage it again. Eventually I installed a spring-loaded toggle swich near the shift leaver. Now, while in power mode, I just touch that swich for a moment, and the engine speed increases so I don't "lug" waiting for any downshift which is often not necessary. The converter then locks back up when it nees to. If I'm on target and you want more help, let me know.

Reply to
mrbhanks