slave cylinder conversion

i just get the axle on my YJ fixed and the inernal slave cylinder on my XJ goes out! welcome to jeepin huh?! so i do a bit of research and find you can convert to the external setup from a newer model XJ. i know ill need a bellhousing, my question is what other parts (and/or sage advice) will i need to do the swap? ive seen some write ups on doing this job on a 4cylinder yj but didnt want to go by those without your advice (since you guys have been right about everything thus far!) im starting to think be covered in grease and grime for the rest o my days! thnx in advance

Reply to
kirayotaka

You don't give a year for the XJ, so this may be a little off. I did the conversion on my 88 MJ when I swapped out the BA10/5 5-spd for an AX15 so some of the parts I needed won't apply.

First, even my 88 bellhousing would have worked. I got the works from a 94 YJ so I had the bellhousing but comparing the two showed that I needed the pivot ball from the newer one (hole already there) and I needed to tap threads in two holes not used with the internal setup - already drilled but not tapped. You may not be as lucky.

Not hat it is essential, but swap out the clutch and pressure plate while you're at it - save a second trip in a short while. Might as well change the pilot bearing as well - cheap part, probably could stand a new one. Inside the bell housing - get the whole thing if you can just to avoid hassles - I would just go ahead and replace the throwout bearing - based on the same logic as the clutch. Watch out for one gotcha: your transmission front bearing retainer has a long nose that serves as a slide for the throwout bearing. Check the diameter of the nose piece and make sure it matches the center of the throwout.

The external setup uses a different master cylinder and the connectors are different. The internal setup has threaded connectors on the hydraulics where the newer external slaves have push fit connectors with locking pins. For a conversion, you might as well buy the pre-loaded set of master and slave. In the 88, I had a problem with two things: The mounting holes for the master cylinder were just enough different that I had to drill them out - but your's may fit just fine as I was on the older XJ/MJ firewall. The other problem I had may also be similar - the YJ pushrod from the pedal was a different length so I had to fab an adjustable rod.

If you do change this, make sure you grease the nose piece that the throwout slides on when you assemble things - a light coat of chassis lube will suffice - so that you don't wear grooves on the shaft.

Reply to
Will Honea

lol sorry it's a 90 xj. thnx for the info.

Reply to
kirayotaka