intermitent starting

Hi For no reason I can gather my 300tdi discovery 1995 year has had starting trouble. The starter motor sounds like it is trying hard to turn over the engine, it sounds like it manages about 1/4 of a turn. one turn of the ign key in 10-15 results in the enginew starting. The starter motor has been replaced today with a recon item. the battery is less than 18 months old and appears fine because the engine does eventually fire. I can hear the solenoid clicking away. It is almost as if there is some form of resistance stopping the engine turning over. I am at a loss????

Reply to
Simon Foster

Most likely reason is an intermittent bad connection somewhere in the starter circuit. In my case (110) it was the earth strap between the engine and chassis, and, as a result, burnt contacts on the starter solenoid which continued to give trouble even after the original problem was fixed.

It is possible, but unlikely, that it is because the engine is abnormally hard to turn, and the usual reason for this is a coolant leak into a combustion chamber due to a leaking head gasket or a cracked head or block. In this case you would expect to see dropping coolant level (although the drop could be very small) and signs of oil or bubbling in the cooling system, and signs of water in the oil. But the problem is more likely to be the starter and its connections. JD

Reply to
JD

Thanks JD I Have just had another thought, two weeks ago the key snapped off in the ign switch and was replaced with a new item. Could it be a bad coonction in the switch?

Having replace the starter motor today I would have thought that just by renewal that the contacts would have been cleaned by friction?

Do you th>

Reply to
Simon Foster

G'day Simon.

by replacing the starter motor, you will only be removing one of the four connections between the battery positive and the starter motor. first lead from battery to solenoid, second lead solenoid to starter. if any of these connections are a little wonky, this would upset the operation of starter motor.

if any of the connections to the solenoid (ie. through the ignition barrel), are a little loose, this could cause similar probs.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Wha?? I check mine every week. No wonder you get trouble with your motors! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB