Smelling gas

'85 CJ7 4cyl

OK, we got it timed pretty good today (about 1500rpm steady and it starts really quickly with no hesitation) but the idle is on fast idle for the moment. However, after driving around for a bit to test it, I smell a lot of fuel - moreso than usual. I'm wondering if it could be the choke or something. There's this piece on the carb that looks like a stepper motor/choke with about 4 wires coming out of it but the harness has been cut and now there is just one blue wire connected. Also to note is the gas has been sitting since last fall so I imagine that isn't helping but it still seems like quite a strong fuel smell, especially when I floor the gas.

Any thoughts ...?

Either way, it runs beautifully. Thanks to everyone who helped - especially Mike & Bill!

Reply to
griffin

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ya but he said 4 banger, that doesn't have a BBD.

Running at 1500 is scary.

Did you find and set the mix screws for the carb? It sounds like it is running full rich.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain