Snow plow setup for wrangler - what's your experince?

Hi,

I'm starting to look into getting a wrangler as a 3rd car to plow my own driveway. I won't be doing any commercial work, maybe help out a neighbor or two, but no more. I have two sedans, which I won't/can't use for plowing.

My driveway is about 300', uphill to the house (not sure about grade).

I have ruled out using snow blower/thrower, and also ruled out getting a truck. Storage space for the 3rd vehicle and plow is at a premium in the garage/driveway as well.

When plowing, I'll need to use backdragging because there isn't much sideway room in front of the garage door (stonewalls on either side).

What setup do you recommend? I looked at truckaccessoriesworld.com, and the snowsport doesn't work in backdragging mode. Perhaps snow bear flexblade?

If you've used a wrangler (or any other jeep), I'd like to hear about what you went through. I'm not familiar with the models (CJ/TJ/etc.), and never had a 4x4. I'm told I should get a 6cyl model, and there is a dealer that can fit the wrangler with plow option (air shock, plow, etc.)

Reply to
FGreen

Jim85CJ

would have thought a Wrangler would be too light as a snow plough; perhaps one of our Canadian pals can advise ? Mike ?

Dave Milne

I see a lot of them set up with plows. Some even on landscaping vehicles so they are seeing commercial duty. The local mall has one for doing the walk ways too.

I see the same places with Jeeps a plows year after year so I would figure they work all right.

I am thinking on doing that depending on how long my next driveway is...

Mike

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Open the garage door, back in, have a cold, then plow your way out.

Reply to
Bowgus

cold = cold one, eh

Reply to
Bowgus

Reply to
twaldron

I have seen many Wranglers with plows in the Cleveland, Ohio area, but I have no personal experience with them.

Meyer makes plows specifically for the Wrangler here:

Western makes snowplows specifically for the Wrangler here:
By the way, the current Wrangler with the round headlights is the TJ. The older Wrangler with the square headlights is the YJ. I would recommend the

6-cyl engine.

Good Luck,

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

Here in Nova Scotia I notice the odd Jeep plowing in winter, but they're definitely not the rig of choice. Something with a longer wheel base and a big load of sand in the back will do the job faster. Incidentally, the most popular plow truck tire around here is BFG AT.

For some home driveway work, a Jeep would be fine. This is by far the best type of plow for the job:

Steve

Mike Roma> I see a lot of them set up with plows.

Reply to
Steve

Myers makes a light weight composite for the jeep I installed on a TJ for a friend and it was the cats ass. The plow blade and frame can be handled by one person and is easy to remove and install.

Reply to
HarryS

You didn't say how much snow you plan to deal with or the 'quality' (12" of fluff is like 3" of crud)

Around here (Midwest) we get 60" or so a year. Early snows are the 3"to

6" of wet crud, later on the stuff is much drier and lighter.

Plow vehicle of choice is a 3/4 ton 4wd Ford/Chevy with a 7-1/2' hydro turn blade (swivels under power) with a back drag blade. (Extra 4" high blade on the back to allow driving up to the garage door and pulling the last bit away from the door. Add a ton or so of sand for weight.

Jeeps are not popular around here because they do not have the weight and stability to do any sort of larger or longer area. They tend to bounce when the going gets heavy, plus you cannot load the back with sand.

Decent info here:

But a lot of homeowners have older CJ's fitted with factory or homebuilt plows to do residential rural (5 acre lots with well and septic tanks) drives. Not as fast as the bigger units, they get the job done. But they can't push the snow into as tall of banks as their bigger brothers. Usually not a problem for a homeowner, a big deal for a shopping mall or apartment building looking for the last paking spot.

I can't really give any specific info on your situation. I can pretty much tell you that NOTHING (short of a dozer!)will push snow 300' uphill if you can't dump the snow off to one side.

Plan > Hi,

Reply to
RoyJ