Some diesel in the gas - what to do?

Apparently the local station I go to accidentally dumped some diesel in their unleaded. They supposedly drained the storage tank but I suspect they didn't get it all out - because - I purchased fuel there a few days after and have noticed a little pinging occasionally under heavy load since then. Seems to run fine otherwise and I can make the pinging go away if I down shift ('02 TJ Sport

4.0L ~12K miles). I don't think I got much of the bad stuff but is there anything I should do, watch for, think about... ? Should I run some high grade through it, fuel injector cleaner, other? JELo
Reply to
JELo

As far as I know..........I would say that there should not be any problem. If they had dumped gas into the diesel tank - there would be major problems - but even if they left 50 to 100 gallons in a tank that holds thousands of gallons, it would seem, to me to be diluted out enough to be insignificant.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

Thanks to all who replied. I was concerned if it could do any 'damage' to the TJ systems but doesn't sound like it. Thanks, JELo

Reply to
JELo

Besides...Diesel engines have higher compression. Would I be safe to assume that diesel has higher octane then just regular ole unleaded

Brian

Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

Now there's an interesting question! My intuitive answer is no, because diesel is so much less volatile. Also, I've seen diesel rated on a "cetane" scale, never on octane.

Diesels rely on the extremely high compression to create the heat for ignition. . .

Paul B.

01 XJ
Reply to
PLB49

I ran out of gas one cold rainy night far from home (true story), and found 14 bottles of "HEET' under the spare tire. My Dad put them there for me to use that winter (in Minnesota). It got me home and I continued driving the car (76 Chevy w/ 350) for years after that with no problems.

Cheers, - Jeff G

67 Kaiser Jeepster Commando 50 Willys 4x4 Station Wagon

Earle Hort> I ran a few gallons of kerosene through a '72 Duster way back when I

Reply to
Jeff Gross

No relation. Diesel will hurt your engine if you aren't real careful to monitor the detonation. Since you're aware of it, you should be fine. But, diesel will make a gas engine detonate just as gas will make a diesel do similar. In a diesel, the timing is controlled with the fuel. In gas, the timing is controlled with spark and since it's set up for gas, it doesn't know to adjust for the requirements needed for diesel. Kelly

Reply to
Flash

Jeff is correct. Fill your tank with fresh gas, run it until almost empty, then use some gas treatment or fuel injector cleaner in your next tank (for peace of mind).

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
Will Honea

Ancient Chinese Proverb: Is ok to run Diesel in gas engine...Bot is neber ok to run gas in diesel engine.

Reply to
mrbx2

A long time ago my dad would add a little petrol to his 1959 developed indirect-injection Austin diesel when it got cold for easier starting. I forget the proportions but I'm I think it was 1/2 pt per gallon. It beat squirting Braddocks Engine Start up the aircleaner and running round to start it. Nowadays, the petrol companies have different summer and winter blends and direct injection diesels pretty well start first time, so its not necessary and, as you say, a bad idea.

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne